Chapter 5: A Painful Parting

They reached Lutenberg as the heavy rainfall lightened to a soft drizzle. The mist coated the weary driven travelers with some cloaked bodies topped with colorful cavanas. Stark pigments adorned the wide-brimmed hats dignifying Lutenberg's higher class. With the magic enchantment bestowed by the Gods, the cavanas protected their wearers from Detra's dominating weather.

From above to below, Isla gazed upon the multi-tiered city inlaid upon the mountain's side. Each level had stone aqueducts segmenting the city in three. The interconnected channels drained water from the heavens to the ocean waters below. With a first look, care and luxury embellished the city. But beneath the ostentatious exterior, the segments foretold the residents' truth. From pure white limestone situated above, the color darkened to dirt and scum below.

"Woah," Leef said, tugging Rydin's arm. "Do you see it?"

"Yes, Leef," Rydin smirked before glancing at Isla. "Do you need to disguise yourself?"

"No, not with this many people," she responded while pulling her hood lower.

They traversed the stone inlaid entrance and bypassed the watchful guards. Inside, the mouth branched three ways with the middle garnering attention.

"Which way?" Isla questioned as they paused.

"Right. Towards the docks." Rydin pointed before taking the lead.

Though their talk grew silent, their surroundings flourished with boisterous voices, merriment, metal clangs, and wooden clatter. The sounds dulled and the road's appearance darkened as dirt coated their feet upon crossing the aqueduct border.

"This way," Rydin called, turning left.

Two streets over and Rydin halted before a stone crafted building, an anomaly within the wood structured forest. A metal crafted gate protected the entrance, but for now, it stood open and inviting. Vines detailed the front walls with sparsely budding orange flowers bracing the cold.

As they entered the home's pathway, the front door opened, revealing a short chubby woman. Her tight-tied chestnut hair showed the first signs of gray. She directed a friendly and welcoming smile at the three of them. "Hello dears, I'm glad you could make it here safely, do come inside."

Rydin stepped forward. "Thank you, Eve. But there's no need. We'll need to find an inn for the night so we can't stay long. Are the arrangements still available?"

"Of course they are. Don't worry yourself. A few other children live with me, Leef won't be alone. And if you need an inn, why don't you try the Quiet Fox three streets east, off the main road. You remember I told you about Callum, he owns the place. Tell him I sent you. He's a good man," Eve said.

"That works. I wanted to see him," Rydin agreed before dropping in front of Leef, jostling his hair. "Leef, as promised, you need to stay here for a bit."

"No!" Leef stomped as a tear sprung loose. "You can't leave me. Why can't I go?"

"Because it won't be safe."

"That's not fair," he whined.

"I know. If I had to choose, I'd bring you. You know that."

"You're lying!"

"Why would I lie to you?"

Leef quieted, his head down and shoulders drooping.

"Leef?"

"No," he murmured, tugging Rydin's cloak. "Don't leave me."

Isla watched their silence drag, her gaze calm. Rydin's rejection had stung her, and she couldn't place the reason why. Had Rydin's promise of return felt untrue? Sure, Rydin believed his own words, he had the innocent vibe of transparency. Maybe she knew, his success clung to hope. Pathetic and unattainable hope drenched in sweet abandonment. Rydin might become like those forgetful hags. But would Leef become like her? She wished her gut were wrong.