Chapter 29: Erose

Isla gawked at the pure white cement walls encompassing Arcadia's capital city Erose. They lifted multiple stories high, concealing the city dimensions. Above, soldiers patrolled the skyline, scouting the woods for invaders.

A fortified dome with multiple layers of protection magic. She had not expected this extreme. When Isla found the detailed note and pass from Layla, she sighed. Between her sisters and Nirvana, both were showcasing their manipulative nature. They requested her presence at Erose on completion of her quest. Pass or fail, they anticipated her.

Ahni and her joined a queue entering the southern gate. Isla tugged her hood lower, fending off the frequent looks. Great, not even inside and she aroused suspicions.

Guards lined the gate's entrance, a pair on each side. Their white plated armor gleamed bright and blended against the walls. They checked passes, directing traffic when travelers failed. No blemish of emotion marked their faces, they bore the job's weight with concentration and precision.

On nearing the entrance, a guard broke the methodical setup, rushing at Isla's advance. His large hulking shoulders enunciated his frame, blocking her path. He towered over her, a hair's breadth distance between them. His hot onion breath smacked her face when he spoke. "What's your purpose here God?" he sneered.

She cocked her head, staring straight at him. "Here to see the Queen. Is that a problem?"

He refused to budge. "Why?" he barked.

"Do I need a reason to see my grandmother?"

His mouth hung agape and he froze. Isla patted his shoulder before stepping around him and checking her pass. The second guard paired with the foul-breathed fool ogled her but avoided the same stunt.

Ahni giggled before they passed through the gate. "Priceless. But to say you're related to the witch?"

"She has her uses." Isla glanced backward. "But just in case, let's blend in with the crowd."

The silver shimmering veil separating the outside world from Erose revealed the intricate interior. A similar field like the entrance divided the city, extending above until eyes lost sight.

Slender buildings joined the sky, their tops slanted or exposed as makeshift gardens. Tall columns with fluted shafts and delicate designs marked the doorways. They connected wide archways and the open faces which formed elegant terraces. Not a single structure lacked an outdoors attachment, their style an apparent must.

Her eyes roamed the sides. Cornerstones sporting geometric art, a different construct for each building. Yet, the nooks and crannies still exposed the fragmented magic engravings, providing an explanation for the pristine city-state.

The main street furnished perfect light gray stone. Each block fitted between border stones, their size equal throughout. Trimmed trees lined the pathway, their branches sweeping and full of dark blue-tinted leaves. The trees expanded, their tips touching and forming a shaded canopy above.

They passed through a field, the city transforming from elegance to a bustling center. With shops piled high, the smell of fresh-baked bread and desserts mingled with the aromatic fragrance of fruits. Miniature gates beamed bright, inviting the browsers to higher splendor. The transparent floor crafted for shops created a kaleidoscopic sky, the people moved, their clothes a dynamic act. Though her first time, she felt nostalgia. Perhaps because Rydin had radiated his knowledge and desires to visit Erose.

Still, the same pale-skinned faces stared back. Nothing had changed from Fin Ardin. No outsiders.

Isla glanced at Ahni. Her mouth drooled as she gawked at a stall of freshly made desserts.