Chapter 37: A New Gift

Isla skipped the line, rushing towards the front. The guards eyed her approach, their swords raring to fight, but she approached defenseless with hands-free.

"Get in line!" The same foul-mouthed God hater roared.

She neared him, a foot away. "I need to see the Queen. The Gods will attack," she voiced, low and quiet. "Unless you want me to make a scene, let me go. I'm sure hysteria isn't what you want right now."

The guard glowered, but the flippant emotions he displayed simmered. "Go!" he growled.

Interesting. Did he believe her or had Nirvana spread some kind of news? Though if her assistance were true, then she predicted her return. What did this mean? She sighed, forget this decoding, the time for action continued to dwindle.

She picked up speed, heading straight for the central keep. The guards stood straight and remained rooted, granting her passage without inspection. She followed the same twisting route, unperturbed by the harsh reprimanding looks of officials.

At the corridor's end, she threw the door open. Nirvana stood, staring out the expansive window. The loud bang pulled her attention and she glanced at Isla's intrusion.

"You're late!" Ahni jumped up, dashing towards Isla and encasing her leg.

Isla stiffened and glared at the witch. "You lied to me. Explain."

The old woman threw her head back and laughed. Her mouth quieted into a thin line, joining her slitted eyes. "Why must I explain myself to you?"

"Maybe because my father wants me to destroy Arcadia, and right now, you're giving me a pretty damn good reason why I should."

"You wouldn't dare."

Isla crossed her arms and relaxed her face. "Care to place a bet?"

Nirvana raised her fan, concealing her lower face. Her amethyst studded eyes maintained their imposing air, their glint magnified by the pin-holed display.

"That sounds like a no. Now, explain," Isla growled.

She sighed, dropping her fan alongside her facade. "This is not a competition. Not when lives hang in the balance."

"Glad we can agree on one thing. But this game of withholding information ends now, I don't have the time for it, nor do others. Make this easy, for both of us."

Nirvana glided forward with soundless steps and settled herself upon a stiff high backed chair. "Very well. Ask away."

"Why send me to the Underworld? What purpose did it play?"

She crossed her hands, leaning back. "Tell me, did anything happen while you were there?"

"I almost got killed, no thanks to you."

"Please, like that would have happened."

"Oh really? Let me guess, you assumed I knew some Nobles already and they just so happened to be within the capital city. Miraculously, I would succeed in reaching out to them and gain their aid. Does that sound right?"

She frowned. "And, was that it?"

"Was that it?" Isla mocked. "You're kidding. Don't tell me this was another ploy by my sisters. Something about how they can see the future?"

"Did nothing else happen!" Nirvana inquired.

"Their King awoke. Happy?"

"Good. There is still a chance yet. Though weaker, we had surmised your presence could break his slumber. Your sisters and I gambled on your strength." She relaxed back, settling into the chair.