When The Stranger Calls

*************AN***************************************************************************************

AS YOU MAY KNOW, I'M LOOKING FOR MY READERS TO HELP ME DECIDE A COVER!!!

I HOPE TO HEAR YOUR RESPONSES!

AS ALWAYS,

READ

LOVE

VOTE

SHARE

**********************************************************************************************************

                                                       ~Luka's Pov~

It was late in the night. The window to my study was cracked, letting the fresh scents of the forest into the small space. Everything was quiet; not a sound disturbed the silence. Even the crickets and birds have left to sleep, leaving me with only the gleaming moon to keep me company.

I sighed, ready to leave the maps and papers that cluttered my desk. Ever since that night, I've been tense, relentlessly finding new ways to amp up security around the perimeters of my territory.

I know my pack isn't safe now... Not if they start looking for...her.

My nerves were frayed now. Melody alerted me of the stench of intruder earlier today. It could have been them. They might have seen her. If they did, it would mean war, there would be no in between, no negotiations.

I struggled to swallow down the hard lump forming in my throat. The guilt of what I did, and the grief of losing the chance with my mate sat hard in my chest, refusing to budge. It wanted to sit there and force me to be burdened by what I've done. I could taste the regret on my lips. I licked the chapped and cracked things, pointlessly making an effort to remove the acrid taste.

I grabbed a glass from my drawer, setting it down a little too rough on the wood top desk. Next to the glass cabinet behind me, I studied the smooth bottles of liquor, seeking the one that fit my mood best.

Selecting the dark brown liquid, I settled with Whiskey. Nothing like a bottle of Jack to sooth my nerves...

The candy liquid was slick on my throat, giving a little burn in my chest with each gulp I took.

Before I knew it, I was refilling the glass.

My anxiety was nearly gone when the phone at the corner of my desk rang. The noise pierced the silence harshly, making me jump.

I swooped it into my spare hand, pulling it to my ear.

"Alpha Luka" My voice was harsh and the whiskey was audibly changing it.

"Hello Luka. You know who this is," The disembodied voice paused to chuckle like he thought of a personal joke in his head, "Well, I suppose you don't know exactly  I am."

The glass I held in my hand shattered as I closed it into a fist. The queasy feeling of quilt and self hatred hit me again, followed by an unsurpassable amount of rage.

"What the fuck do you want? I'm not interested in doing anymore of your dirty work!" I practically boomed the statement out, forgetting that people were sleeping.

I took this moment to close the window, sound proofing my study.

"Well, I just wanted to see how things were coming along on your... assignment? You've been dodging my calls. I at least expected some sort of confirmation... unless... the job remained... Unfinished?"