Elevators | Chapter thirty

Scott, stiles and Haley were stumbling through the forest in the middle of the night.

Haley was already in a foul mood for being smacked with a pillow and then having to climb up a rooftop to get to Scott.

Stiles' bat in hand.

"Are we seriously doing this?" Scott groaned as they trudged through the forest, leaves crumbling with each foot step.

Haley wiped the sleep from her eyes, smudging the remainder of the mascara off of her eyelashes and onto her skin.

"I've learnt not to question it. More questions more freaking stupid answers." Haley yawned as she tripped on a tree root.
They were always getting in the way.

"You're the ones always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town."
Stiles counteracted, smacking his torch light as the beam flickered out.

"Told you." Haley muttered, readjusting her sweats and messy bun. Stiles glared at her.

"I was trying to get a good night's sleep before practice tomorrow." Scott replied, sighing as the light continued to flicker on and off.

He had to make the team.

The sound of dogs barking sifted through the air as several more footsteps sounded near them.

Knowing fully well who it was, stiles and Haley took off in a sprint- leaving their asthmatic friend to fend for himself.

"Guys wait up!" Scott called after them, gasping for air as he trudged along their path.

The dogs barking got louder and as the twins skidded to a stop, they were met with the disapproving look of their father.

He slowly approached them.

"Hang on, hang on. These little delinquents belong to me." The sheriff muttered to his deputy, leaving the floods of working flashlights to continue showering the tree canopy.

"Oh god, here we go."

*****

One after the other, each person burst through the water surface- gasping for air.

"I saw it." Haley spluttered out as she coughed up the morsel of water lodged in her throat.

"We passed it. There's-- There's a stump, this huge tree. Well, it's not huge anymore. It was cut down. But it's still big, though, very big." Stiles babbled, looking at his sister and best friend.
Haley nodded, thinking back to the subconscious state.

"It was the night we were looking for the body." Scott finished, a smile tugging at his lips.

They could find the parents.

"Yeah, the same night you were bit by peter." Haley nodded in agreement, pulling herself out of the tub and immediately being wrapped up in a blanket by Lydia.

"I was there too, in the car with my mother. We almost hit someone." Allison joined in, taking the towel from isaac as she finally left the freezing water.

"It was me. You almost hit me." Scott replied, the group finally realising how intertwined their life's really were with one another.

"We can find it." Haley laughed a laugh of relief, only then noticing the disappearance of the alpha.

She couldn't blame him- being in a room full of people who hate him wouldn't be great.

Isaac looked down at his feet, finding his shoes far more interesting than what he had to tell them.