Purple sticky notes | chapter twenty

Stiles and Haley sat in their beloved breaking blue jeep, listening to the fuzziness of the speaker as the speakers tried to splutter out the radio.

Haley had her head leant against the headrest, her eyes closed and her hands gripping the chair.

"We can't do this." Haley murmured after getting off of the phone with Alison. Stiles quickly turned to his sister, his free hand clasping hers to comfort her.

"We can do this." Stiles reiterated before squeezing her hand and readjusting his grip on the wheel.

Haley sighed as she dragged her hand down her face, dreading the next conversation.

*****

Haley and stiles stilinski barrelled into the office their dad was assigned. The door smacked against the glass, alarming the man behind the desk so much he nearly fell from his chair.

"Seriously guys?" Sheriff stilinski groaned as he rebalanced himself and furrowed his eyebrows.

Haley wrapped her arms around her body as she tried to come up with a way of telling their father that they knew why so many of his cases were unsolved.

"We need to talk." Stiles informed, pulling a chair out and eyeing his father awkwardly. Sheriff stilinski sighed, rubbing his eyes in exasperation, he didn't need this.

"Hey, I don't have this kind of time." He tried to reason with his kids, looking briefly down at all of the cases he needed to answer.

Haley muttered under her breath before she joined stiles, hitting her palm against a stack of paper as she fell into the free chair.

"That's what we wanted to talk to you about." Haley remarked, looking for her brother to continue the explanation.
Stiles started to panic, was he really going to tell his dad after Mellissa ignored Scott?
Would it really protect him? 

"Right, you know all these unsolved cases you've had for the past year. Like Kate argent and the fire, or you know, Matt and him murdering everyone who drowned him. It's like you're playing a losing game." Stiles spluttered out, each word beginning to merge together as he mumbled.

Their dad sighed, he felt horrible for leaving so many, he just couldn't figure out how.
"The last thing I need right now is a performance review from my own children." He barked, sending Haley backward slightly from shock.
He didn't normally shout.

Stiles sighed before he looked for another way of port of call.
"Yeah I know, okay. But... that's just... that's jut it dad. The reason your losing the game. Is because you've never been able to see the whole board." Stiles stated before revealing a battered chess board that Haley once loved as a child, playing with their mum.

Haley grabbed the small pieces and began to set out the game, pausing as she placed the king down to look up at her dad.

"We need to show you the whole board."
And she finished setting the game.

*****

The three had moved home to discuss it more privately.

Each person had found a chair to sit on, post it notes sprawled across the chess game they brought with them.

"So Scott and Isaac are werewolves..." sheriff asked slowly, eyeing two of the pieces in the board. Haley nodded, grouping them together.

"And... Kate argent was a werewolf." He asked, his brain questioning if he needed to send his kids eichen house. Stiles shook his head as Haley placed a purple sticky note on a piece.