Chapter 2

Once Gaius had left the room I ran to Merlin's as that was the only private place with a door. It was then I noticed my hands were shaking. There was no doubt about it, I was terrified, to have a meeting with the King, I have no idea how to act around royalty let alone how walk, talk, any part of this Lady situation was new and foreign to me. The quiet knock on the door was obviously Merlin who entered anyway, my gaze was outside by the open window. Merlin embraced me in a warm hug, knowing that my 'brother' was there for me was a big comfort and I slowly began to calm down. "Listen Row, Gaius told me that Gwen will be coming soon and is going to help with the basics of how to act as a Lady of the court, she is even going to help you dress into something more you." I looked into those eyes of his and saw all the sincerity in them. "Thank you, Merlin, I have no clue what I would do without you".

An hour had passed and Gwen had just arrived. She was so kind to me I felt like she was my best friend already and it had only been a matter of minutes, she wore a simple dress with pure white sleeves with a red bodice, her hair was tied up with just a few lose curly strands hanging out of the bun she wore. We spoke of the etiquette and proper manner of a woman, the way I must present myself to the king and everything I should tell him was perfectly planned out. Once I had told her what had happened I could tell she wanted to help out of friendship not because she was forced to do so.

During the process of getting ready I had to choose which dress I would like to wear out of a selection, and what hairstyle I would like, even my makeup had to be planned. I had picked out a ivory dress with a purple pattern over the top, it was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid my eyes upon, the detail was impeccable. Next up was my make up, I told Gwen how much I hate make up it just makes me feel different to who I really am, so subtle was everything. She only put a bit of blush on to brighten up my pale skin with some lipstick to finish the look. The last thing on the list was my hair, the golden strands often reminded me of the sandy shores of the coastline, Gwen put it in a half up half down style to let the long strands flow. "Thank you, Gwen this means so much to me." "It is a pleasure Row".

I was ready and that was that, no escaping now. Gwen opened the door, Merlin and Gaius were sat around the table eating their dinner but both men seemed rather shocked at my transformation. "What? Do I look bad?". Gaius was the first to respond "No my dear you look wonderful, Gwen you have done an amazing job thank you".

Merlin was still in shock at what had happened to me that I couldn't help but laugh. "You look great Row, a real Lady" his smile always made my day and there it was again.

"Now time to go to my destiny!" Immediately walking out of Gaius' chambers I could feel the eyes upon me all the way to the doors of the great hall, now all I had to do was wait, the scroll that was tightly secured by my fathers ring in my hand seemed to become heaver each minute. The wait was agonising all I wished for was to get this over with. Time passed and it was time for Gaius to enter I was to wait till called, he took the scroll with my family crest on it with him. Gwen and Merlin stood with me stood with me, they would both have to wait outside as they were not members of the king's council. The doors opened I was standing to the side so the crowd could not see me yet, I was about to enter when Gwen held me back "Wait for them to announce you" she whispered.

"The Lady Rosa of Whiteridge". That was my que, in my mind all I could think of was don't trip, keep your head up and did I say don't trip! The heels on my shoes were all you could hear the entire time.

"Council dismissed!" The kings voice boomed through the hall startling me slightly "except from you Gaius". My head was now down despite all my efforts to keep it up. I could hear Uther's steps nearing me and that was when I decided to look him in the eye.