Kirk

You walked out of the lecture hall, carrying your notes and books.  Everyone swarmed around you, trying to find their next class.  Someone bumped into you, spilling your stuff across the floor.  You looked up to see none other than James T. Kirk, who happened to be one of your best friends.

"I'm sorry!" You scrambled to pick everything up. Kirk smiled and tried to calmly help you.

"(Y/n), just the person I was looking for..." he said, smirking.

"What now?" you sighed, knowing he was up to something.

"Well...there's this girl I'm trying to make jealous, and I was wondering...if you could pretend to flirt with me and be really into me in our next class," he said.

"Ugh, fine. But it's going to take a lot of effort for me to pretend I'm into you," you replied, finally grabbing the last of your papers and standing up.

"Oh come on, you know you love me," Jim said, winking jokingly. You lightly shoved him and walked to your next class. He followed at a short distance behind you and took a seat right next to you.

"So who is she?" You leaned over and whispered in his ear.

"The blonde a few rows away," he replied. You felt your heart sink a little bit as you looked over at the girl. She had gorgeous, wavy, blonde hair that cascaded down her shoulders and back like liquid cake batter, and her tanned skin, that somehow still looked sun-kissed in January, was flawless.

"Oh. She's pretty."

"Yeah. She was checking me out the other day; I think I've got a shot with her."

"If you say so, Tiberius," you responded, batting your eyelashes and twirling your (y/h/c) hair as you looked into his electric blue eyes.

"I do say so," he said, leaning closer.

"Is she looking?"

"Yeah."

"Good," you said, trailing your fingertips down his bicep and then pretending to laugh at something he'd said.

"You're almost too good at this," Jim observed, still pretending to flirt, "Someone might think you actually like me." He raised an eyebrow at you.

"As if," you scoffed, suddenly realizing that he was correct. You felt your cheeks turn pink, while you wished that this sudden realization would crawl back into the dark recesses of your mind where it came from.

"Deny it all you want, (y/n), but I can tell when a girl's into me," Jim purred.

"Okay, I think you're taking this fake flirting thing too far."

"I guess you're right," he grumbled, something changing in his eyes.  Just then, the professor walked in and began his lecture.  You focused on him, not wanting to look over at Jim.

After class, you saw Jim go up to the blonde girl and presumably try his usual routine on her.  It looked like it was working.  You scowled and hurried out of class.

A week later, you found yourself having lunch with Jim, alone, since McCoy had some sort of test to take in one of his classes that had run long and all of your friends had ditched you.

"So...how'd it go with the blonde?"  You picked at a salad on the tray in front of you, not meeting his eyes.

"We went out to dinner, and she left halfway through."

"Oh.  That sucks."

"I guess," he sighed, "But while I was sitting at the table alone, I realized there was someone else I'd rather be there with."

"Who is it now?"

"Well..."

"Oh god, it's not one of my friends or something, right?  I do not want to have to hear the details of your make out sessions or whatever," you stated.

"No."

"Then who is it?"  You were growing impatient.  Why had he brought up the subject if he had no intention of telling you?

"You."

Your breath caught in your throat, along with a piece of lettuce you had tried to swallow.  Surely he couldn't mean what you thought he meant.  You coughed quietly and tried to hide your shock.

"I'm sorry, I must've misheard you," you finally said.

"No you didn't.  You know exactly what I said," he said, straining to meet your eyes.

"Do you mean you wanted me there as a friend or as more than a friend, Jim?"

He paused and then said, "More than a friend."  He ran a hand through his light brown hair.  "So, do you want to go out sometime, (y/n)?"

"Yes."