39: I Choose You

"Are you serious?" Charlotte asked me as I sat on the couch in front of her, head in my hands, tears streaming down my cheeks. "He won't say it? Is he that prideful?"

"Yeah," I spoke, taking the hot mug of cocoa she brought me as she sat next to me, rubbing my arm.

"But he does care," she spoke. "You should have seen him when you almost died."

"Yeah," I spoke, looking down at my stomach. It had healed within the first month I had moved back, but the scar occasionally throbbed. "I guess."

"Why don't you go back?" she asked. "You don't belong here. The only reason why you haven't been fired is because you're protected by the best lawyer in the city, and two freaking superheroes."

I took a sip of cocoa before I placed it on the coffee table in front of me, groaning as I leaned back in the couch, rolling my head back. "The last time I left this life for a man, the man was an unfaithful criminal and I ended up nowhere. I threw all my opportunities away and I did things I never wanted to do in able to survive, i.e. work for the biggest criminal in Gotham City. If I go back for The Joker, and it doesn't go well, where to I end up? No other hospital will accept me once I've been confirmed a criminal. And a criminal will never hire me if they know my ties with Joker. If he can't even admit his feelings for me and buckle down, then he's not worth it."

Charlotte was quiet for so long that I shifted my eyes from the ceiling, to her. I found her smirking. "Yeah, but he is worth it because you love him," Charlotte spoke. "He is worth it because he killed the other girl instead of leaving you high and dry."

"True," I spoke with a sigh. "But—"

My phone went off in my pocket. Speak of the devil.

I opened the message and froze instantly. The message was so abrupt I couldn't help but let my jaw drop as I let out a squeak in surprise, showing it to Charlotte, whose smirk became so wide she looked like The Joker.

"I hate that you make me say this, but I'll say it if it means your stubborn little tooshie will come right back to me. So, I love you. There. Now come back. Puuuhhlease."

"What?!" I shouted, looking at her. "This isn't happening."

"Imagine how hard he's gritting his teeth, he gave in and now you have the power," she joked before growing serious now. "You can choose now. Which life do you want?"

I hugged her tight before I stood up. "I choose him."

She clapped excitedly. "Well, good," she spoke before getting up and walking me to her door. "I just want to see you happy, and he makes you happy."

"Thank you," I spoke gratefully, staring into her eyes as she smiled.

"Don't thank me. Go get 'em."

--

I drove to my parent's house and parked my car in the driveway before taking a bat out of the garage, and I started to destroy my Aventador with it. After I cracked the windshield and dented the front bumper, my father ran out of the house. "What the hell are you doing?!" he asked angrily. "Are you mad?!"

I started laughing, looking at him in the eyes as I poured alcohol all over the front and back seat, ripping his cigar from his hands and lighting the car on fire. "Yeah, I am," I spoke, laughing so hard I was crying now. "And fuck you."

I walked in the street in front of a moving car as they screeched to a halt. I walked to the driver's window and smashed the man's head against the steering wheel, knocking him out before I pulled him out of the car and took control over it, speeding off to the place I loved most. Gotham.