28: Change of Appearance

It was a week after orientation. I was sitting in the meeting room on the stage next to Joker as he told his henchmen of the next big heist: Blowing up the bank. They weren't going to take any money from it, they were just going to blow it up. Cost the city of Gotham millions, turn it into a place where we had the upper hand, besides Bruce Wayne, millionaire, of course.

I shifted in my seat as I read my medical book. It was a book on heart surgery and how to avoid killing your patient. I didn't have to perform any heart surgeries, if my patient needed one it was my job to euthanize them, I just wanted to study up. I wanted to get educated, I wanted to know as much as a Doctor did.

I flipped the page and pursed my lips. This wasn't so hard to understand after being in the field for so long.

"And if anyone gets hurt, I have my Doctor here, along with our new four nurses," Joker spoke as he gestured to me before laughing. He pointed to the nurses who were in the crowd, all but one, who was with Cake in the operating room, re-dressing his wounds. He was making a wondrous recovery, something my nurses were super impressed by. I had limited resources, but I still made it work. I was lucky I didn't need any transplants to reconnect everything. I wasn't sure if I was just lucky, or a natural.

I smirked at him, winking before going back to my book. I turned the page to the next one. Ooh, diagram.

One of the henchmen raised their hands, a new girl named Merit. She had an eyepatch over her left eye and pink hair slung up in a high ponytail, which drooped down to the base of her head. Her bangs seemed longer than her actual hair, and hung over her eyepatch. She had a black, ripped AC/DC tee that exposed her stomach, and booty shorts with rips where the pockets were. She shifted in her black combat boots, obviously nervous upon getting Joker's attention.

"Yeah, let me be your right-hand man for this." She spoke with great confidence, I turned to look at Joker for his reaction. He snickered, licking his lips.

"Doll, I like your enthusiasm, but how do I know you're right for the job?"

She smirked. "You don't. But I can tell you this right now: I could kick everyone's asses in this entire room. Even your girlfriend's."

Joker turned to look at me now with a smirk. I sighed lazily, putting my bookmark in my book before placing it onto my lap. "Pass." I spoke. "You probably do have more experience than I do. Because I'm not meant for the front lines. I'm meant to be your medic. It's stupid saying you could kick my ass. Because I'm not even supposed to be a fighter. If you can kick everyone's asses in here, that's enough to recruit you as a leader. Unless Joker had objections to that," I spoke, my eyes meeting his as I kissed the air towards him jokingly. This caused his chest to rise with a small laugh. ". . .But if I know Joker, he agrees with me."

Joker turned to look at her. "Your courage enough is telling, ah. . .Merit, is it?" he snickered. "Weird name, by the way. But I don't want all my henchmen bleeding and bruised if they have a big job to do tomorrow, because that'd kind of get in the way of the entire mission. You're hired, doll."

I stood up in my seat. "Gonna go to the salon. See you bitches later," I spoke. I walked to Joker's chair, leaning down to place a kiss on his head. He grinned up at me.

"Ooh, this is a surprise."

"I want to change up my look," I spoke. "You'll see when I get home." I grinned.

--

I looked in the mirror at my now ice white hair. It fell down my shoulders gracefully, and looked beautiful against my tan skin. My ice blue eyes practically glowed now (Author's note: I don't think I ever specified her eye color, so I'm gonna now).

I smiled at the woman who dyed my hair and paid her, giving her a generous tip before going home to Joker. I was excited to get his reaction on my look.

I arrived home and walked up the staircase to his bedroom and opened the door. I froze when I walked in, being welcomed by an awkward situation.