37: Back to 'Normal'

He killed her.

Joker killed Merit.

That's all that I could register as I floated through the blurred memories of my life.

And now we wouldn't be able to see each other.

It all seemed so surreal. I grabbed a clipboard from the wall and turned to look at my patient.

I was back in Metropolis, and I was a nurse again. My case had been re-opened, I had been proved innocent, and I got my job back along with compensation for the trouble the felony caused me. I also gained money from Gotham so I wouldn't sue for what they called a 'kidnapping.' No matter what I told them, I was innocent. There was nothing wrong with me, in their eyes.

But I knew that there was plenty wrong with me.

I scanned the clipboard before placing it back on the wall. I had already completed all my tasks, and I was just double checking everything.

They didn't put me back in the ER. They didn't know the extent of my medical knowledge, and thought I might be a bit rusty so they put me into the maternity ward. All I did was make sure mothers were alright and bring them their babies, or feed the babies.

It was odd, I was surrounded by happiness and innocence, life and its wonders.

I hated it.

I grimaced as I watched a new mother kiss her husband on the lips, joy seeping off of their bodies like body odor.

I took my phone out and stared at it for a moment. God, I wanted to call Joker, talk to him, but what was I to say? It had been three months. Three agonizing months of having Superman breathing down my neck, assuring my safety. Making sure Joker didn't 'take' me again.

"Lucy," a doctor snapped. I quickly looked up to see his eyes. He looked down at me with a defiant gaze, smug almost.

"You're supposed to be doing the work I gave you," he spoke with folded arms.

"I did," I spoke. "Did you check?" I gave an attitude I hadn't had before, because I wasn't going to take this guy's shit. I could do the same things he could.

"No, because I don't have to."

I rolled my eyes, blurting out a high pitched laugh. "Then don't waste my time by asking me, because I don't have to answer if you can legitimately look at the patients and see their drips and their charts."

"I'm the doctor, you're the nurse. Got it? Don't think your little 'vacation' made you any smarter," he warned. God, power play.

"Well, you want to know something that hasn't changed?" I questioned with a big fat false smile.

"What?" he sassily questioned.

"How tiny your penis is. Hopefully one day you'll stop overcompensating." I shoved a clipboard into his chest and clocked out. I was done for the day, and if I had to take any more orders from doctors, I'd shoot myself.

I wasn't the one who took orders, I gave them.

Why did I agree to take this job back? Or move back to Metropolis? Why did I do all of this when Joker killed Merit to save me?

I walked to my car. My father had bought me a new car to try to bribe me to stay in Metropolis. It was a cherry red Lamborghini Aventador. Overkill, if you asked me, but my father insisted.

He accepted me back in the family, as if that was something I really wanted, and pretended as if everything that happened, didn't actually happen.

I was about to open the driver's door of my vehicle when I was stopped by a floating man. Superman, to be exact. I turned to look at him with folded arms. "Coming to check up on me again?"

He watched me carefully before landing. "How are you?"

"Tired," I spoke with a sigh. "I hate the doctors here. I want to move back to Gotham City. I loved it there. I hate it here now. Please let me transfer to Gotham General Hospital."

He hesitated. "Your father won't be—"

"Oh, fuck my father," I spoke with a groan. "Do I look like a minor to you? I can damn well handle my own self."

"But Joker will—"

"If Joker wanted me, he would have gotten me back already," I spoke, feeling my heart break as I spoke the words I tried to pretend weren't true. "Have Batman babysit me. Or just let me call you if I need you. Or him. Okay?" I put my hands on my hips. "Just let me go back to Gotham."

"He doesn't love you," Superman spoke almost abruptly.

"Who doesn't?" I asked.

"Joker."

"Okay," I spoke with a smirk now. I got into my car.

"Why are you smirking?" he asked as he watched me get in.

"Because you're funny," I spoke as I peeled out of the parking lot.