32: He's After Me

It was a week after the heist, and Joker wasn't paying attention to me anymore.

It bothered me a lot, but I tried to pretend like it was nothing.

I was waiting in his bedroom for him to walk in. Last time I checked, he was finishing up work in his office, and I knew he'd be heading off to bed soon. I checked the time. He should have showed up an hour ago.

The door clicked open and I grinned. "Hey, baby," I spoke, but my grin fell when I realized Joker wasn't the person who was walking in. It was Merit. We locked eyes for a long moment before she opened her mouth to speak.

"I—Oh, I see Joker's not here yet."

"Why do you need him?" I asked, folding my arms.

She rolled her eyes at me. Wow, rude.

"Because he asked to see me."

"Here? At this hour?" I asked sourly.

"Yes, actually," she spoke before a long grin slid onto her face. "Y'know, I think we're getting somewhere. He seems like a really nice guy. We talk a lot. It's great."

"Excuse me?" I breathed in shock, my hand tightening into a fist. I was about to knock this bitch out.

"You heard me," she spoke. "Well, I guess he's a little busy. I'll come by later." She winked before snickering and slinking out of the room.

My phone went off, I quickly picked it up to answer. Had to take my mind off of this. "Hello?"

"Oh my god, Lucy, Oh my god," Charlotte's voice screamed into the phone. I flinched. "Yes?"

"Lucy, your father knows you went to prison, and he's trying to clear your name."

I crawled off of the bed now. "What?"

"He wants your record cleared, so he's having MCPD open your case back up. And that's not the worst part—He has Superman in on the investigation. He wants Superman to come find you."

I felt my whole world come crashing down. My heart started to beat a mile a minute. "You're kidding," I spoke with a wavering voice.

"No, Lucy, I'm not, you have to run, or hide, just—"

"Charlotte, hang up the phone," I said quickly. "I can't drag you with me. I can't."

"No, I have to help you Charlotte, I—"

"No, you don't. I love you, stay safe." I hung up on her, blocking her from my phone. I couldn't have the police tracking her down and I couldn't jeopardize her career, or her life.

The door opened. I turned to it angrily. "I swear to god bitch, if you're here to try to fuck my man again—"

"What?" Joker asked. Crap.

I folded my arms. "You and Merit."

"What about Merit?"

I rolled my eyes.

"What about you asking to meet her here?"

"None of your business," he snickered. "Why are you here?"

"Because I miss you?" I spoke sadly. "And I'm kind of in some sort of trouble—"

"Look, Lucy. I've had a long day. We see each other all the time, so I'm not sure how you could possibly miss me. Must, ah, be some sort of period thing. And figure out the trouble yourself, you're good at that," he spoke, walking around me to the bathroom. He started to undress, turning the shower on. I bit my lip and shook my head.

"You're such an asshole. . . " I muttered. He stopped undressing to look at me. He was only in his boxers.

"What?" he questioned with a small chuckle, his eyes held anger. "I'm an asshole? For doing my job, and not caring about your petty problems?"

"Superman is after me!" I finally shouted, tears spilling down my cheeks. He turned the shower off and walked out of the bathroom.

"What?" he snapped.

I was sobbing now. "My father found out about what Shaun did and he's having my case reopened, Superman is on the case and he's going to come for me, and he's going to take me from you, and then you're going to be with Merit, and you're not gonna give a shit that I've left." I was wiping my tears from my eyes, but they kept falling.

"You're mine," he spoke possessively. "Superman can't take you from me."

"But am I yours, Joker? Or your property?"

"Same thing," Joker spoke with a shrug. "Bottom line is, you're not going anywhere." he walked back into the bathroom and shut the door behind him as the shower turned back on.

Is this what I wanted to hold onto? This life?

I wiped the tears off of my face before getting up. I was too tired to talk to Joker anymore. I left, not wanting to think about what would happen once I left the bedroom to retire to mine, and Merit came back to see Joker again.