The Last Walk Home

I didn't want to return to Salt Lake City. I wanted to spend the rest of my life in Scotland. This month-long vacation was rejuvenating. I felt so free here. Next year I planned to go to a different country. Now that I was 21 and out of college, I could do anything that I wanted. I was settled in a journalism career, and I already worked it out with my boss to where I worked every day for eleven months, and then for one month of the year, I could travel to any country I wanted and my boss would pay my way there.

For my first vacation, I chose Scotland because it wasn't too terribly far away from home and I have an unhealthy obsession with the accent and wanted to pick it up. I've succeeded in learning it, but I can't do it for very long because it's really tiring.

It was 5:00 p.m. and already dark, so I decided to make my way back to my apartment, drinking in all the beauty around me as I did. I knew I had to get home soon because I had to finish packing my whole two suitcases. My flight was at 3:00 p.m. the next day and I wanted to enjoy the ride to Edinburgh without being worried about missing my flight.

Since my apartment was across town, I got home at 8:30. I know that seems like a really long walk, but I was lollygagging for most of it. I unlocked my door and threw my keys on the table beside the door once I was inside, sliding my coat off me and onto the back of the chair at the dining table.

Walking through my living room, I started grabbing things and putting them in my suitcase before emptying my bathroom of my things as well. When I walked into the hallway, I got the feeling that I wasn't alone. I got worried immediately, and when I opened my bedroom door, I screamed, running back out of the room and hiding behind the door.