Time to Listen

The Characters of Clayton, Rya, Kennedy, Dallas, and the Valentines belong to Rachelle. The character of Cora is expanded on with Permission from Rachelle, and is written for the pleasure of the International Wildflower Pack, the WhiskeyQueenn fandom. #WildflowersUnited #iwp   

::Thank you  for your inspiration- Clayton #5 in Werewolf stories 6.2017::

Time to Listen

Midwife Gretchen's POV

As I walked through the sunshine, the steady  beat of an ax told me Mark was at my house again. He was a handy wolf to have around, used to working in the elements. My yard and home had not been in such good repair in decades, prepared for their next occupant. He insisted on 'paying for' Cora's care, and since I refused to take money, he worked. HE was a very prideful wolf, determined not to own anyone anything. I made a kettle of tea. Pouring part into my mug and part over ice, it was time for Mark to learn about his mate and her nature. And tomorrow I needed to talk to Catherine about ordering them into couple's counseling with Aurora. I did not care for that healer, she made some poor and misguided choices, but her skill of helping heal the internal anguish of wolves could not be denied. I had already informed her that she would help Rya upon her return, no excuses. She failed to treat Rya's physical scars in a timely manner, the least she could do was help the poor she-wolf with her emotional ones.

I carried the glass of Iced tea out to him. He split enough fire wood for the next two winters. Coraline told me that Cora had been brutally unforgiving to him this morning.

"Mark, come have a drink and sit with an old wolf," insisting, I smiled.

He buried the ax in a stump and saunters over, he's a cowboy even when he wasn't around his horse. My wolf and I found it funny. He took the glass, and swallowed half of it. "Thank you , ma'am."

"How's your Grandmother Hannah and your sister Blessing?" I asked.

He grunted out his answer, "Fine, Ms Gretchen."

"I heard about Blessing's eye surgery in January, it was good that she healed quickly enough to watch you win your buckle," I added.

"Yes, ma'am."

Internally my wolf groaned at his response, it is like trying to dig gophers out of the garden. "Have you been listening to what Charlie has told you about Cora's past and Rya?"

His back became rigid, but he just stared out at the lake.

"Then I will tell you again, it is time to listen," I scolded.

"Look Ms Gretchen, no offense but I don't see what a girl she hasn't seen in years has to do with the fact she won't come with me. A girl Charlie says is so damaged she doesn't even remember the people she knew here. Cora owes her nothing." His voice was harsh. His attitude bothered me, I had already decided it was time to burn him with his own fire.

"She could say the same thing about your family, they are dead or at home while you ride the rodeo circuit, and yet you live like they are all that matters. But when you are home, you spend all your time out on the range like they mean nothing and you owe them nothing." I explained harshly.

Mark slammed the glass down so hard that I'm surprised it doesn't break. He started to stand, "I think I am done here for today..."

"You will sit down and listen, pup, or I will pinch your ear." My wolf bared her teeth at him.

Hesitantly, he lowered himself back down. His wolf bared its neck, I liked his wolf, that was a respectful pup and a good mate for my girl.

I sighed heavily, I was getting too old for this. "Mark, I am trying to help you save your relationship with Cora by teaching you why she is the way she is. You can't ride away from this, and she will not bend to your will and follow you meekly to Big Sky and you wouldn't want her if she did. Cora was born to the strong Shill Gamma lineage, and a more powerful Beta line. She was trained by Catherine and a dozen Lunas from around the world to be a Luna. She never gives up on something once she decides it is her duty. She was taught from the time she could crawl that it was her duty to protect and care for lesser wolves and she always has, but to her, it means any wolf that is suffering or in need. No matter where she goes or whom she meets, she does it. It makes her a lighthouse on the shore, drawing wolves of every type to her. Her selflessness makes her courageous beyond any other wolf I have know and once she make a promise, she will never break it. That damaged girl that you so quickly dismiss was her best friend, her family was the only family Cora knew growing up. Carl and Becky were horrible parents, self-absorbed, consumed with their status in the pack. Held together by the mate bond and nothing more."