chapter 26 || i know how to split a leather bag open

Start from the beginning

"Hey guys," Peter says. Drew and Molly wave, whereas Christina and Will only send me small smiles. Ah, that's right. I forgot they don't like Peter. I let go of his arm and hop over some of Molly's strewn about clothes to get to my bunk as Peter does the same. An uncomfortable silence fills the room, making me uneasy even though I know I'm in.

"What jobs do you guys want?" I ask to try and relieve some of the tension.

"I'm probably going to be stuck on fence duty for the rest of eternity," Christina jokes halfheartedly.

"Me too," Will adds. "Maybe we can guard it together."

"I would go for tattoos, maybe," Molly says questioningly, as if she isn't even sure of herself. Drew doesn't respond.

"Dauntless leader-in-training," Peter states proudly. Christina groans and rolls her eyes while Will just looks blankly at him.

"Don't steal my job, Peter," I joke. "I want to be a leader-in-training too. And if I can, I want to train initiates too." Knowing what's about to happen, I'm not sure if I'll get the chance to train initiates at all. We all stir up light chatter to try and comfort each other until Eric knocks on the door to retrieve us for dinner.

• • •

The microphone in the dining hall squeaks, which causes the majority of people to cover their ears or cringe. Across the room, where Rena usually sits when she's here, is Eric standing on a table tapping the top of a mic. After everyone quiets down, he clears his throat and begins to speak.

"We aren't big on speeches here. Eloquence is for Erudite," he starts. I snort as everyone else laughs. That's one thing I don't miss from Erudite. The speeches were way too boring for my liking. "So I'm going to keep this short. It's a new year, and we have a new pack of initiates. And a slightly smaller pack of new members. We offer them our congratulations." At that, the entire hall begins not to clap. but pound their fists on the tables. "We believe in bravery. We believe in taking action. We believe in freedom from fear and in acquiring the skills to force the bad out of our world so that the good can prosper and thrive. If you also believe in those things, we welcome you." More pounding fists follows.

"Tomorrow, in their first act as members, our top ten initiates will chose their professions, in the order of how they are ranked," Eric continues, silencing everyone else once again. "The rankings, I know, are what everyone is really waiting for. They are determined by a combination of three scores – the first, from the combat stage of training; the second, from the simulation stage; and the third, from the final examination, the fear landscape. The rankings will appear on the screen behind me." The moment Eric stops talking is the moment when the names appear on the screen.

1. Tris

2. Uriah

3. Jax

4. Lynn

5. Peter

6. Marlene

7. Will

8. Christina

The last two names are a couple of Dauntless-borns. I look at my picture next to my name and smile. Third place is great; Tris said she wasn't going for leadership, and there has to be more than just one spot, even if Uriah takes it. I can always do initiate training and choose something else that appeals to me. I look at Peter, who has a small frown on his face. I nudge him to get his attention. When he looks at me, he tries to send me a fake smile.

"At least you aren't on fence duty," I assure him. "Maybe you can take a job in the kitchens and bake me muffins day and night." This earns a laugh from him, which distracts Peter from his disappointment. As long as he doesn't go on a killing spree or anything of the sorts, I'm fine with whatever. "If all goes well, that is," I add quietly beneath the excitement filling the room so that only he can hear. Peter just nods. We both stand up from our seats and start to make our way to the doors.