Chapter 9

When I woke up, Derek was gone. But he left a note.

'C,
I have taken some of your boxes and dropped them off at OUR place. Man I love saying that. Anyway. You only have a box of your weapons and two bags of your clothes. I promise I got everything else. But. Meet me at 4. Old Hale house.
With love,
D.'

It was 10 am. I took both bags to my car and now to get the last box. As I walked down the stairs, Allison stopped me.

"Cady? What are you doing?" Allison asked with much urgency.

"Moving out, little sister." I said and kept walking.

"What?? Why?!" She practically yelled.

"Ask our father. He might tell you." And with that I left. And didn't look back. I cried. Yes. But nothing compared to the feeling of relief that took the weight off of my shoulders.

I'm back at the loft and ready to start putting things away. What room should I take is the real question..

I found the biggest one. It had another balcony view. And it was better than the one from old room. I went to the balcony. I closed my eyes.

Derek.

I want Derek.

"I'm right here." He said as soon as he wrapped his two arms around me.

"How..." I started but he cut me off.

"How did I know to come? I don't know honestly. I heard you say my name." He said.

"I thought it but I never said it." I said. "When I was little. Before Kate took me. I remember me wanting someone to love me and to look at me like dad did mom. And. I have come to the conclusion. That. I won't ever get it." I said. He turned me around and made me look in his eyes.

"You have that. You have me." He said. A tear escaped my eye.

"You can't love me. I'm a monster." I said and I escaped his grasp and ran. I drove off. I saw Derek following me in his car. I kept my eyes off the road for a moment.

"CADENCE!" Derek yells.

"I CANT FEEL MY LEGS!" I scream. I ran into a tree. Derek got me out and held me. "I can't feel my legs. Derek. You know. They won't heal. You know the only thing will cure them."

"No. no." He put me in his back seat and sped over to Deatons. "How do you keep getting into wrecks?!" He mumbles to himself.

"Shut up and drive Hale." I said groaning in pain.

We made it to Deatons not two minutes later.

"DEATON!" Derek yelled into the animal clinic, me clinging on to Derek while he holds me bridal style.

"What's wrong? What happened to her?" He asked urgently, leading Derek to the back to lay me on the table.

"She was in a car wreck." Derek said. Kind of disbelieving his own words. "She crashed into a tree."

"I--- I can't feel my legs." I scream. Deaton turned me on my side.

"Derek. There's a piece of glass in her back. Maybe way too close to her spinal chord." Deaton says, while pulling out a large piece of glass from the small of her back.

This can't be happening. Everything seemed fine. 10 minutes ago we were fine. Everything is starting to seem so
I don't know. Everything was getting out of hand and it was my fault.

"Cadence. I'm afraid that you'll lose mobility of your legs. The bite can cure this. If that's what you want." Deaton said.

"You're saying... that I could be paralyzed for the rest of my life??" I croaked out.