10.3.16

6.13pm

Today was bleak. The greyness in the sky perfectly described my mood. I wrapped up warm, in monotone coloured clothes, and walked down to the beach, my headphones plugged into my ears. I listened to 'It's All In Vain' by Wet. The music sunk into me, it was so beautiful, as if someone had just swaddled me in a silk sheet. I watched the waves crash below me, my Timberland's dangled off of the edge. He sat beside me and smiled. I smiled back, taking my headphones out and pausing my music. 

"what were you listening to?" he asked, but I shook my head. I wasn't into mainstream music, I liked music which I could connect with, that made me feel calm and sent tingles roaring across my whole body. He wouldn't know half the stuff I listened to.

"you wouldn't know," I spoke, but he smirked. 

"I'm a musician, I know my music." and I laughed, that was true, but if he had heard of 'Wet' or 'Milk and Bone' I would be surprised. 

I handed him my cracked, silver iPod, with a hand painted case of some leaves. He showed me the lock screen, to which I typed in my code. He began flicking through, I was too bothered what he looked at, I had nothing embarrassing to show. I wasn't like half the people in my school that were fascinated in taking photos of different parts of their bodies. I liked photo's of things I enjoyed, the sea and my dog were pretty much all. 

"your name's River?" he asked, but I shook my head. 

"no, that's my brothers' name, the iPod use to be his before he gave it to me." I smiled.

"oh okay, I was just looking through his playlist, he's got great taste in music," he said. River enjoyed indie music, like The 1975. I couldn't say I detested it, but it just wasn't my type. "he's got such a cool name too." 

"thank you?" I questioned but began laughing.

"it's very apt." he smirked. 

"we're by a sea, not a river." I laughed, as did he.

"it's water themed." he tried to defend himself, but I didn't have anything to say. By the looks of things he was on my 'Recently Played' playlist, shuffling the various songs, and lifting the phone up to his ear and listening, giving the song about ten seconds before skipping it. "they're all very aesthetic.'

"what's that suppose to mean?" I asked as he handed me back my iPod. 

"I'm not sure, but it's the type of music I can imagine you listening too. It's an easy listen that can penetrate a lot of emotion."

"exactly!" I spoke. "what music are you into?" 

"I presume the type your brother's into, like Catfish and the Bottlemen, Oasis, stuff like that."

"yeah, I haven't heard of Catfish," I said, and instantly he revealed his black top with lines that mimicked bodies, and their hands down each other's pants. 

"that's from one of their covers, they're my all time favourite band. But to be honest I'm into a bit of everything." he spoke, "you'll have to listen to them sometime." 

"I will when I get home. My brother has probably heard of them. I better get going now, tomorrow?" I asked, and he nodded. 

"I'll be here.