7.3.16

6.52pm

Today was clammy, there was as weirdness in the air that made me feel nostalgic and warm. The clouds rolled over the powder blue sky, hinting faded rose in some areas, it was getting dark but it wasn't cold. It smelt especially today, the saltiness of the seaweed mixed with a bonfire burning a couple hundred yards away.

Mum had left me with Matcha, my family's mushroom coloured Shih Tzu who was too spoilt to be left with anyone. I knew as soon as we returned from the beach, she would be bathed in her rhubarb scented shampoo and the dirt thoroughly brushed out of her. Thankfully she wasn't a long haired Shih Tzu, it saved me the embarrassment of tying her hair up in pig tails. I let her off and she continued chasing bugs around the field, getting all sorts of dirt twisted up in her fur. She began following somebody, occasionally jumping up begging for a treat and waiting expectantly.

"Hi, is this dog yours?!" He laughed as he sat down beside me, ruffling up her fur.

"Yeah, this is Matcha, I got left with her today." I giggled.

"Matcha, as in the tea?" he laughed, but I shrugged, my family suggested the name and it just stuck.

"maybe, it was pretty spontaneous." I smiled, Matcha seemed pretty happy by his company and made herself comfortable on his lap.

"he can probably smell my dog, Jake." he looked down at Matcha, who was sniffing his black sweater and blue skinny jeans.

"what type of dog is Jake?" I asked, intrigued. "wait no, let me guess!" After seeing this TV show 'Does your dog look like you?' I began to guess. From his blonde scruffy hair but inviting face, my initial thought was a golden retriever because they're constantly smiling dogs. But he was pretty petite, not in height, but in size, so then I began thinking a cairn terrier.

"Cairn Terrier?" I laughed, really thinking hard about this.

"I've never heard of that breed." he laughed.

"golden retriever?" I asked again, going with my gut instinct.

"you were closer when you guessed the terrier."

I began thinking again, taking everything in. He was musical, so perhaps a dog who was very vocal.

"a greyhound?" but he shook his head, "okay just tell me." I guess this theory 'does your dog look like you?' didn't apply to him because I couldn't imagine him with another dog. Then again I wouldn't say Matcha looked like me; although I was short, I lacked bushy tanned hair and a squished together face, she didn't exactly look like any of my family, perhaps my dad at a push, though.

"he's a black and tan Cavalier King Charles Spaniel." he spoke and instantly I smiled.

"you should bring him down sometime, I love dogs so much" I emphasised, unlike people, dogs understood me, they'd be there and listen to me whine and supply you with moral support and cuddles.

"maybe I will, he loves people."

"as does she. I'll look forward to meeting him." he placed Matcha on my lap and I clipped on her floral lead, "I better get going, it takes forever to bath her." I giggled, before waving my goodbyes to the boy.