9.3.16

6.33pm

My painting of last night was encapsulated so well on the page, it was delicately aesthetic and everything I was aiming for. It was different from the majority of my paintings, the fact that it was more realistic whereas all my others appeared dishevelled. It's amazing how the painting both reminded me of the smell, the taste and the feelings of last night. I bought my book down tonight, not to show the boy my painting, but because my teacher wanted me to paint in the moment of different perspectives at the beach. I had a palette of well-used watercolours, a bottle of water and different sized paintbrushes, mainly small ones.

I painted from my usual spot, on top of the cliff, mixing up the yellow, red and white to create an apricot shade which I swiped across the page, turning it into a gradient and really deepening the tone at the bottom. I then lightly dipped my paintbrush in the water and then into the blue, diluting the pigment and sweeping that across the top of the page. I splatted a slate grey across what was now the sky, forming an abstract approach on clouds. It took me five minutes and it showed, but there wasn't much to paint today, the sky was clear. I began walking down the cliff, packing my supplies in my bag, until I bumped into him. 

"leaving already?" he asked, pausing in his steps. 

I shook my head, "no, I'm doing an art project so I'm going to different parts of the beach to paint." I explained and he nodded. 

"would you mind if I joined you?" he asked. 

"be my guest," I smiled. 

I walked down onto the stony beach and sat down, the boy sat beside me. I had an idea of the three things I could paint here, the cliffs, the stones and also the sea. I began pouring the necessities out of my bag and mixing together tertiary tones, starting with the cliffs. I brushed a sepia colour over the page as a base coat, and then began splatting other brown shades over the top. With the tip of my brush I applied cracks using a coffee colour, but blending it out to make it look more three dimensional. Colours began to bleed into each and it looked at mess, so I gave up with that one, focusing my gaze now onto the stones. It was as if I were in my own little bubble, I was so absorb in painting that I didn't realise anyone surrounding me, nor the boy beside me. I would've loved a sponge for the stones, to add a different texture to the image, I feel like a paint brush and watercolours wouldn't give it justice - watercolours were used for delicate objects, not hard ones like rocks. 

"okay, lets go to another spot!" I laughed, standing up. 

"let me help you with your things," he began picking up the watercolours and paintbrushes, whilst I held my book and the water bottle.

"thank you," I spoke and began to head off to the main part of the beach.

"you know, you're extremely talented. It's mesmerising watching you as you paint." he spoke and I could feel my cheeks blush rose. 

"thank you, but they're nowhere near as good as I would've liked." his eyes widen when I spoke those words. 

"I thought they were exquisite." he spoke, and I smiled. 

"thank you."

"if I had your skill I'd definitely show it off, you shouldn't be so conscious of your work, it's clear your passionate, and that in itself is beautiful."

"but it's different, compared to everyone else's, I'm the outcast of the group." I began to explain. 

"different is good, you shouldn't follow the crowd, do whatever makes you happy, not anyone else." his words were flowing so beautifully, he definitely had a away with them, making me blush uncontrollably. 

"if I had a talent like yours I'd definitely do something about it." I stated and he laughed. 

"trust me I'm trying, the music industry is a hard place." he spoke, he knew what he wanted and he knew a lot about this.

We paused outside Ivor and Janet's ice cream shop with a faded and rusted sign placed outside. There was no queue and I was slightly tempted, I didn't buy any lunch today at school, meaning I still had £2.50 hiding in my pocket. 

"do you want an ice cream?" I asked him, but he shook his head.

"I'm good thanks, pretty sure mums cooking chicken for tea tonight." 

I walked over to the counter, and opted for my usual blueberry. I handed Ivor the change and Janet began swirling my purple ice cream into the cone, she topped it off with a flake as well. I thanked her before returning back to him, he laughed as I took my first lick, I was satisfied. 

"aren't you suppose to be finding unusual places for you art?" he asked, and I nodded. Now we were in the beach town there was nothing fun to draw, no interesting textures or wacky compositions, it was just beige and I didn't find joy in drawing buildings. I liked natures own creations, like the veins on petals or drips of dew sleeping at the tip of a blade of grass, that was art. 

"it's getting too dark." I spoke, looking up at the sky and recognising the moon which was placed East to us, tonight was also clear with a few clouds painted on to the sky. "I'm probably just going to leave it tonight, but thank you for keeping me company." I smiled at him, as he handed me back my watercolour palette and brushes. 

"no thank you, tonight's be fun." he smiles, balancing from foot to foot, "I presume I'll see you tomorrow." he smiling, with a knowing look glimmering in his eye.