"Class?" The teacher addressed them, and they responded with the rehearsed 'Yes, Mrs. Bermingham?' "Has anyone seen Elizabeth Black?"

The children looked around at each other, before shaking their heads. The teacher let out an aggravated sigh.

"Alright then. Stay put, children. I will be right back!"

She strided across the classroom and out the  door, which led directly to the playground. The heels of her shoes sunk into the mud as she paced the schoolyard in search of the missing student.

Sometimes, she could be under a tree- gazing in wonder at a caterpillar or sticking her finger into an ant nest.

Other times, she could be found picking apart various plants (the gardener had complained about this one too many times), or even assaulting some poor, possibly rabid, squirrel.

Yes, she was a curious child- as strange as she was beautiful.

But despite all the trouble she caused, Mrs. Bermingham was very fond of Elizabeth Black. She almost wouldn't mind having to search for her every day after recess if it wasn't for the fact that it was taking up too much of the other kid's valuable learning time-

A fact that the principal himself had pointed out during their last meeting.

This time, the teacher found the little girl under the big oak tree in the yard, poking at a beehive with a fallen branch that she had found somewhere. She watched in disbelief as the little girl with the black ponytails stood on her tippy toes and poked the hive with all the energy she could muster.

Seeing that the bees were becoming agitated by this curious little girl, the teacher swooped in, grabbed the girl's free arm and hauled her across the schoolyard, only looking back to see if the bees were on their trail.

As soon as they were out of harm's way, the teacher knelt down in front of the little girl, making sure that their eyes were on the same level. Before even bothering to say a word, the teacher brought her arm back and struck the little girl on the arm, a daily ritual that seemed to have no effect on Elizabeth Black.

"I have told you a million times Elizabeth to always come in after recess." The teacher scolded, and the little girl stared back at her with her doughy green eyes. "How many times do I have to say it before you listen?"

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Bermingham." The little girl apologized, her voice expressing a deep regret for what she had done, and would continue to do. "But, I just couldn't help myself. I wanted to catch a bee because I've never seen one up close before!"

The teacher shook her head, a small smile forming on her pretty red lips.

She never could stay mad at the little gir; for long.

"Bees are very dangerous when bothered, Elizabeth." The teacher said, and the little girl bobbed her head up and down as the words went into one ear and out the other.

Unable to hold it in anymore, the teacher chuckled. Realizing that the other children would start to act up without supervision, she made the girl promise never to do it again then carried her back inside.

"Go on now." She whispered, and watched as the little girl scampered to her seat at the back of the classroom.

"Alright class," she began, enthusiasm thick in her voice. "Today we're going to be learning about birds!"

 The children whispered excitedly among each other at the mention of birds before the teacher hushed them and continued.

"What can you tell me about birds?" The teacher asked, ready to engage the students in a stimulating conversation. "Please remember to raise your hands if you have something to say."