Spilled Beans | PART 2

~ ~ ~

"But you all probably know me as Captain Marvel."

~ ~ ~

Billy couldn't help the rush of adrenaline that pumped through his veins as he spoke to the League- getting an overall mixed reaction from his teammates. While Hal and Clark had wide-eyed, unbelieving looks, Barry seemed as if he'd burst from holding his laughter in any further. Diana, Ollie, and Dina all shared various degrees of confusion, and Bats- well let's just say he was amused.

It was Barry who actually broke the silence, bursting out into full-on laughter. He doubled over, holding his stomach as he laughed. Billy tilted his head, furrowing his brow in confusion. "Oh man- That- That is hilarious. How much did you pay him to say that, Bats? A hundo? two? Oh, oh- three?" he asked, giggles and snorts sneaking between his words. "I mean, that's rich. Really it is."

The scarlet speedster looked up to find the dark knight without a smile on his face, (which wasn't unusual, but something on his face just read 'i'm serious'.) and the laughter ceased. "Wait, you're serious?" he asked, looking back to the child.

Billy crossed his arms, nodding slowly. "Yea...?" he said, blinking.

The heroes around him exchanged glances, expressions ranging from confusion to guilt, to in Clark's case, rage. Billy caught a glimpse of the Kryptonian's anger and drew in a sharp breath, avoiding his gaze and taking a defensive step back towards Batman.

The man seemed to get the message, putting a protective armored hand on the boy's shoulder. "Well, it looks like our work here is done. Adam is gone, so we should get back to the Watchtower to discuss anything further." Bruce's voice left no room for argument, the surrounding adults making varying sounds of agreement. "Come on, Billy. You can ride with me if you like." he said with a ghost of a smile.

Billy nodded, glancing up at the people he idolized as they sent him looks of uncertainty or betrayal or even pity. He sighed, tears threatening to well in his eyes. He had hoped this wouldn't be the outcome of him telling them his identity, though the wisdom of Soloman told him that this was the most probable outcome. He sighed, following Batman to a jet.

He took a seat in what he assumed was the boy wonder's seat and buckled up. Sure, he could have transformed and met the team there, but that would be kinda awkward at the moment. Instead, Billy rested his arm on the armrest and held his head, looking out the window as they took off.

They rose into the atmosphere at a steady pace, Billy biting his lip as he got lost in thought. Batman attempted to make small talk, but after realizing Billy wasn't listening, left him to his own devices. This gave the boy time to think about what his next course of action should be, though that would be tough.

He knew that Batman accepted him, which was already a big weight off his shoulders, but after seeing the fury held in Superman's eyes, he wasn't sure what the rest of them would think. He knew he had kept something important from them, but it wasn't wrong if they never asked if he was a kid, right?

The boy was so deep within his own head that he didn't even notice when the jet ( which had at some point become suited for space travel ) landed. It wasn't until Batman was shaking his shoulder gently that he realized where they were. "Batson?" he asked, his cowl down, revealing bright blue eyes full of compassion.

Billy blinked, staring up at the man who he had come to think of as a mentor of his own. Batman had been the first to find out about his identity after a slip up involving a particularly harsh blizzard hitting Fawcett City and the Dark Knight catching him transforming. He had accepted the boy's reasoning for keeping it a secret, and even had helped him with his superhero-ing.