Cause for Paws

When dealing with magic, here's rule number one: always expect the unexpected.

...wait, where's the League gone?

- - -

When dealing with magic, rule number one was to always expect the unexpected.

This was something that had been hammered into Billy's head while the old Wizard had taught him how to control his gifts. 

Magic was a force to be harnessed, it couldn't be controlled any ol' yahoo with a stick. It was an element, wild and untamable if you didn't take the time to properly learn its tendencies and how to command it.

Maybe that was why he was so tense while facing off against this mop-haired teenager hopped up on the wild magic amulet hanging from his neck. 

He, Zatanna, and Constantine had been fighting this guy for nearly an hour at this point and none of them had been able to land a hit on him yet.

"This kid's really starting to get on my nerves," Zatanna said as she threw up a shimmering barrier to block an onslaught of bright green energy heading her way.

"For the love of-" Constantine bit back, rolling out of the way of another blast before reaching into his trench coat and chucking an assortment of rune-covered balls at the teenager. 

"You mind comin' down here with the rest of us common folk', Sparky?" he called out, glancing up towards where Captain Marvel floated in the air in the moonlight.

"I'm working on it, John!" Marvel shot back, launching his mystical lightning in the direction of the teenager, only for the boy to throw up a glowing wall to counter it. The demigod growled in frustration, narrowing his eyes at the brunet.

"We gotta get that thing away from him!" he shouted, diving out of the air and maneuvering around a blast of energy that sizzled the corners of his cape.

"Gee, you think?!" Zatanna shot back, pulling her hat off her head and tapping her wand on the brim. 

"Kcatta citsym tibbar!" he chanted before an oversized saber-toothed rabbit leaped out of the hat. She scrambled back, grabbing hold of Constantine's coattails and pulling him along with her.

"That should keep him busy for a moment-" she said, glancing towards the Hellblazer as she put her top hat back on.

Captain Marvel touched down alongside them, eyes still locked on the teenager as he struggled to fight back against the monstrous rabbit. 

"What do we do after he inevitably beats the fluffy bunny back?" he asked, glancing towards the other two in concern.

"Marvel, this situation might call for a bit of divine lightning," Constantine said, giving the demigod a pointed look as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"What? No, that could kill him- he's just a kid, John."

The Hellblazer leveled him with a knowing, unimpressed stare- Captain Marvel sighed.

Zatanna shook her head. "I'm with Marvel on this one- the kid just needs to be powered down. Cap can use his lightning as a last resort, but for now, let's focus on-"

There was a deafening roar, causing the trio to glance towards the teenager, only to find him holding a much smaller animal in his arms than he'd previously been struggling to battle against.