Chapter 17

A string of curses left my mouth and I hope Anastasia doesn't pick them up. The squeals of the birds were overwhelming, and it takes me a while to hear that Maxime is trying desperately to call instructions from the speaker system. We have some archers and long range rifles, but they're useless if the beasts fly higher.

Before anyone can even prepare themselves, the flock descend. I quickly leap off the makeshift tower I'm on, pulling Anastasia with me. I shout for everyone to take cover, but I'm not sure how many can hear me. But only an idiot will remain in the open right now.

Pushing Anastasia into a nook at the base of the rubble pile, I look around to check that Maddie has disappeared. But before I could hide myself, someone calls me name.

The moment of hesitation was enough for a bird to spot me. I quickly throw my arms up and a force ripples out of my hand, knocking it out of the way. It's a subconscious move that has saved me, my instinct reacting faster than my mind. I look around and find a piece of car door and fling it up momentarily clearing the near-sky of threat.

Turning towards the source of the noise, my heart almost stops at the sight of Cosette running over. She has a book over her head and Maddie drag alongside her on the other.

Curse the word of the Old. What is this girl thinking?

I estimate the distance between the two of us. It would take them a minute to arrive and they are the only moving target left in this area. I scan around and find a petrified Anastasia, who has stuck her head out.

"We need to help them," she implores. As if I don't know that already. But how?

Anastasia starts blasting her energy balls up. It's easily dodged by the air beasts, but their density means that more often than not one of them is hit. I start tossing pieces of debris up, choosing the particularly large pieces so that it would hit more.

The smell of burnt flesh, blood and sweat fill the air, and the seconds seems to stretch into minutes, then hours. When the stupid duo is close enough, I quickly craft a bigger base for us to hide under and gesture for Lionel in the near makeshift shelter to come over, too. But he's too busy fending off the birds.

"What are you two thinking?" I ask as soon as they duck under. Their breathings are heavy and we push them into the deepest corner, which still isn't deep enough I pull two pieces of concretes into place as doors, blocking out the outside world as well as most of the light. It's only a temporary solution. I need to get out and help or else we'll only be safe until the land beasts break through.

"I've got something that would help," Cosette declares. I can just make out that she's sticking her chin up at me. I do the only thing I can in that moment: I laugh.

"How?" I challenge. She takes the book down from her head and I can see its leather-bound surface has suffered some claw marks. This book looks similar to the one Margot had her get to find out about the necklace. I stole a glance at Maddie, who nods at my chest. Cosette really is relentless about it.

"The pendant that you found, it's magical," Cosette starts. I wonder if she's high on something. But then I remember the eerie feeling I get from the necklace, and how coincidental it was that I even found it at all. "I found more information on it and it turns out it has powers."

I blink. Did she just say the word magical and powers?

Anastasia throws me a look, as though she's trying to ask me why do I have a crazy cousin. I shake my head and hold my hands up. "Cosette, this is not the time to discuss this."

Cosette rolls her eyes at me and has the audacity to snort. "Don't you see that this is the solution to the problem we have outside? With the power of the pendant, we can protect the city."