Chapter 33 First Encounter

"Wow," Victoria says as the three of us stare at the grand structure high on a hill. "That's where we're going?"

I stole a glance at Katerina out of a corner of my eyes. Black Wing is up there, surveying the perimeter. None of the towns we walked past is inhabited, it was eerily quite. Everything looked abandoned and Victoria spotted some claw marks. It seems the theory of the Betes in the mountains driving them away or worse is true.

The towns were weirdly quiet, too. Victoria said that it was because it's a full moon today, and they will be staying in the habitat. Whatever that means.

"This looks fancy." I whistle. Aside from being set on high ground, it's huge with orange tiled roof and grey-washed stone blocks, with terraces and towers. It looks older than anything I had ever seen before in my life.

"This is the one," Katerina whispers. Her voice sounds so different that I double take and stare at her. She looks distracted and if I'm being honest, lost. Then she frowns and squeezes her eyes shut. She's seeing something. This has to be it.

Katerina stumbles backward and Victoria, who is closer to her, catches her before she falls backward. She has one hand on her temple and I take a step closer, ready to take over if Victoria can't hold her weight anymore.

"What is it?" Victoria asks. Katerina slowly lowers how hands, her face still contorted.

"This is it, they'll be there. But how?" she whispers like she's in a trance. I wait patiently for her to regain her senses. Victoria looks like she's torn between shaking Katerina silly or helping her.

"Never mind, let's go." Katerina walks out of Victoria's arms and starts walking. I share a concerned look with Victoria before following her. She's walking towards the castle without even consulting the map. The tarmac ends at where the bridge connects to the door. And this bridge does not look safe to cross.

"Katerina, wait—" before I can even protest, she starts crossing this hazardous bridge. Victoria shrugs at me and starts to follow. Shouldn't we at least cross one at a time?

"Victoria—" and off she goes too before I can even protest. I watch the two girls cross and sigh. Let's ignore the risk of eroded wooden planks and walk on to the grand castle.

Pushing my better judgment aside, I start heading towards the castle, too. I focus on Victoria's back and place my foot carefully on the weathered ground. Even if I fall, I can make one of the wooden pieces hold my weight. I hope.

The girls had gone straight into the castle, meaning the doors were either unlocked or they managed to open it. I stepped into a spacious courtyard and look around. It looks hundreds, if not thousands of years old. I suddenly have to urge to shout and see if there is an echo inside.

"Akram, come here!" Victoria appears at the foot of one of the stairwells and gesture frantically for me to follow her. I run up just to see her disappearing back. Awesome.

"Victoria, where are you going?" I whisper but stops abruptly when I see Katerina standing in the middle of the hall with her head downcast. She's shuddering and I have an uneasy feeling about it.

"Katerina!" I shout and half-run towards her. Victoria shouts something but I can't here. The next thing I know, I slammed into something solid and the force caused me to bounce right back, flying through the air.

"Are you okay? I was literally just warning you not to run over," Victoria reprimands me as she helps me up. Can't she have warned me before she leads me in here? I shuffle up quickly and stare at Katerina; apart from the shaking, she doesn't seem to be hurt or anything. Then I look towards her ring. It's glowing.