Chapter 8 the other side

"How long is this tunnel again?" I ask. It's hard to keep the trepidation from my voice, even though I try to be brave for Anastasia's sake. But it isn't every day that you have to cross an ocean by going underneath it. Not to mention that it's through a tunnel built in the the Age that Has Been and stood through the World Enders, supposedly intact.

"31.4 miles," our guide, Evan, answers impatiently. He is walking briskly at the front, the reflective straps of his suspiciously empty backpack reflecting the light from my torch. I can hear Anastasia swallows loudly behind me; she's worried too, no doubt. After all, who knows when the tunnel would decide to collapse? I don't think these people think about maintenance at all.

The tunnel is a manifestation of depression itself. It's humid, dark, gloomy and every step results in a loud crunch as the gravels shifts. The sound echoes loudly and it builds up to a never ending concerte with the dripping sound of water. We have been following the train tracks for a long time now, keeping a quick pace so that we can clear the tunnel within the day. Evan assured us that we don't want to spend the night here, although if we have to it won't be the end of the world.

The feeling of being exiled is weighing heavily on my heart. True to his words, Grandpa already had someone lined up that can offer us a way to cross over to continental Europe. It's such an insane idea, to travel away from the one place that I have known my entire life, cross an ocean and try to find some long lost relatives. There is no going back too; not unless I can save up enough for the channel fee. Grandpa refuses to tell me how much it costs, saying that he has been anticipating for this cost since before I was born. But I knew that it took away all thirty years' saving. How would I ever be able to get that much?

"Akram," Anastasia calls my name softly. She couldn't stay here with my family because it will raise questions, and she doesn't want to either. With her power, it's decided that she'd come with me for safety ad for a better pretense. We are pretending to be brother and sister who are trying to reach France to find their distant relatives. Which for the most part is true.

"Yes?" I turn to look at her quickly but keep my pace up. The idea of spending a night in this tunnel really doesn't appeal to me. Anastasia holds my gaze for a second, before dropping her head again. She has been quiet the entire time, only insisting that she doesn't want to stay in London. I don't know what to say to her either; she has been through a lot and I am going to give her time and space to clear her head.

"Why did you let me come?" she asks. I haven't expected her to ask me something like that, and the unexpected question has me pausing for a second.

"I haven't really thought about that," I admit. It just seems like the logical thing to do. She has nobody left, it isn't safe for her to remain, and she wanted to come. But that's more. "I guess I just don't want to do this alone," I finally answer.

"Me neither," Anastasia replies and we fall silent again. The moment feels oddly intimate, and I definitely feel like we are closer than we were before. It is strange how a girl that I have only just met a few days ago is now the only companion I have left, the only one who knows where I come from and my family. The only tangible link to my past and my present, and a future that's full of uncertainty.

I grimace and shake my head. What on Earth am I thinking about? This sudden change has got my head in a tailspin; I am not one that would usually think so much about my life and feelings, but it's hard not to get sentimental when you are leaving behind your family.

"It's okay," Anastasia suddenly says. I turn and find that she's smiling at me. The first smile I have ever seen on her face. I stare at her for a moment, seeing a glimpse of who Anastasia is before everything that has happened. Not wanting to alarm her, I give her a quick smile back before carrying on. Evan has speed on ahead and the two of us break into a light trot to catch up.