Chapter Twenty Three

A short update is better than no update, right?

My excuse for such a short chapter is that it's sort of a filler, but also because I want the next chapter to be full of action, so I needed to separate the scenes in this chapter. That's a solid excuse, right?

Anyways, Merry Christmas! And if you don't celebrate Christmas, I'm going to wish you a merry Christmas and happy holidays anyways, because these holidays are less about religion and more about understanding the blessings and all the great things that I have. And you guys are part of that! I see you, my readers, as the greatest Christmas gifts in the world. So Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and just happy times! I hope you're all traveling safe and having fun this time of the year. I love you all so much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Twenty Three

Niall and I were both going stir crazy. Having to take care of Arianne and Lila was a lot of work. The two couldn't be kept together without either causing mischief or someone getting hurt - usually Niall or myself. So when Arianne announced that they needed groceries, Niall and I shot out of there.

    It was bad to leave them alone, but weeks had passed without incident, and Harry was really excited because he felt we were close on someone's tail, and that the suspect probably knew that. We all assumed that was keeping the creeper away.

    As I grabbed a cart, Niall checked his phone. "Hey. I've gotta get something and they don't have it at this shop. It won't take me too long, and I will meet you back here in under an hour," he claimed.

    "You sure, mate? We can do that first," I told him. "I don't mind."

    Niall shook his head quickly. "No, don't worry about it. It'll be faster this way. You can get back to Ari quicker if we divide and conquer. I won't be gone too long."

    The list Arianne wrote for me was miles long, so I wasn't concerned in the least about Niall making me wait here. I just wanted to get it done as quick as possible and get back to the girls. As much as Niall denied it, he totally was catching feelings for Lila. They were such complete opposites, so you'd never expect it, but lately they have both been giving each other sneaky glances. Glances that only Arianne and I saw.

    Arianne "shipped" it so much, or that's what she told me. From what she told me, Lila was just as adamant as Niall was that they were just friends, which only fueled our beliefs more.

    So I let Niall head off, while I took care of the groceries. There were stuff on the list that was completely unnecessary, like water balloons and an excessive amount of cookies. Things that were not needed, I crossed off and moved onto the important things. Niall appeared at the ideal time - when I crossed the last item off the list.

    Unloading the groceries would take a couple trips. Mostly because the girls would refuse to help. Though even if Arianne offered, I would tell her no and tell her to relax. But she was cooking spaghetti at home, so carrying in groceries was the least that I could do.

    Niall got a firm frown on his face when we pulled up, and I felt the mood shift. "What's wrong?" I asked.

    "I just... Something feels wrong."

    From our parking spot, we weren't able to see the door to the flat. There were a few other cars parked around, but all of them were familiar - other tenants of the complex. We got out and grabbed as many bags as we could before heading up the stairs that would take us to the girls' flat.

    I went to grip the doorknob, but as soon as my fingers his the metal knob, the door opened slightly. "Did we forget to shut the door?" Niall quizzed suspiciously.

    "I don't know. I wasn't paying attention."

    I pushed it open further. "Hello? Ladies?" Niall called in, shouldering in around me.

    My stomach flipped when I entered the building. Something was definitely not right. First off, neither of the girls responded. Second, I could see the spaghetti on the stove, as if it had been freshly made. By the smell of the room, it had.

    "Holy shit," Niall murmured.

    I turned to ask him what was wrong, when I saw it too. Blood. A trail of crimson. We followed it with our eyes, afraid of what would be at the other end, but unable to stop looking. Beneath the landline phone, Lila was lying unconscious in a pool of her own blood, her mouth open slightly.

Niall jumped into action, kneeling next to her and yelling at her. He patted her cheek furiously, fearfully. "Arianne?" I shouted nervously.

As I went running throughout the flat, Niall was calling an ambulance. Before I made it to the first room, I knew she was gone. I could feel the pain of her absence. Then I lost it.

Kicking and punching everything that came into sight, I broke pictures and dented the walls, knocked books off of their shelves. All the while, Niall was still trying to wake up his girl while speaking on the phone to a representative of some sort.

The bastard had taken my girl.

F L A S H B A C K

    (still in Liam's POV)

    With Niall as a new friend, Arianne had opened up a lot. She was a sweet little thing. But I could tell she was damaged in some way. I saw it in the way that her eyes widened when I raised my hand, how her whole body tensed up if I raised my voice or got a little angry or annoyed.

    Each time she reacted to me this way, the more it made my heart sink. With that cute little face and those doe eyes, who could lay a hand on her? Arianne was the definition of pure-hearted innocence. Only a very sick person could do such a thing to an individual like the girl.

But she had a silly side too, which was coming out as her and Niall got closer. They were cute together, but you could easily tell that they weren't the type to become a couple, just to have fun as friends. Arianne could get Niall (and me as well) to do anything for her. Both of us had received full makeovers - makeup, hair, and nails. Other times, we were bringing her treats and flowers. Not so much to earn her affection, but to get one of her dazzling smiles.

Niall had her sitting beside him, showing her how to play his guitar. The strings all sounded muted, as her fingers weren't calloused enough to press hard and create the clear sounds. Niall took the instrument from her and showed her something, a few chords in a certain pattern, before passing it back. As she repeatedly messed up, her cheeks warmed.

"Don't get embarrassed, princess. It's hard. It takes practice. Here, you sing. I'll play," Niall encouraged.

Arianne nibbled on her bottom lip, glancing up at me. I gave her a reassuring smile. "Don't be scared, you know you can trust us," I reminded her. "Singing is good for the soul."

So my friend started strumming, tapping his foot and counting her down to the song. And then she opened her mouth and starting singing Falling Slowly, from Once.

As she sang quietly, her face guarded with pink cheeks, I knew one thing and one thing only.

This angel needed to be protected. And I would protect her. If anyone lay hand on her, they would feel my wrath.