Chapter Five

Unedited.

Long days of never ending loneliness had begun to domineer Rhys's life with a harsh hand. Two months. Two months of her life had been wasted away in dreary conditions, she was forever alone, only fleeting glances of the nurses that brought her food and gave her new sheeting and cloths when hers were ruined.

Rhys was given the essentials, bedding and food, but privacy was rare. The fiberglass wall that allowed the workers to see into the many cells lined up the left ends of the walls, along with the security cameras in the corner of the cell. Day after day she had looked into that little red eye, yearning to zap the expensive appliance to nothing more than the plastic and metal that it was.

With her only hobby being counting various items and the tiniest details on them, Rhys had soon became obsessed with the act of shattering the fiberglass, but it was nearly impossible. And each time she tried to break it, they would shock her. A pleasure beyond belief for a living, breathing electrokinesis. Each time it left her in a trembling, comatose state, resembling a person being electrocuted, but without the harmful affects on the body.

The woman laid sprawled out across the white tiled flooring, a steady rhythm her left leg made kicking against the metal framework of her bed. She was a boiling crock pot of animosity and one she would snap on all of the people working in the facility. But Rhys was not a monster, she would never do it out of satisfaction to see innocents burn to a crisp. Well, maybe a few that she did not like but she was not full of complete loathing. Although it had started to form that way since yesterday.

They had spiked her food. Lacing it with some poisonous drug. If she had to guess now, most likely Cyanide mixed with an unreadable tranquilizer, the wrong dose could be lethal, but mix the right ingredients with Cyanide and you have the perfect combination of anesthesia. Fucking brilliant if you think about it in the long run. An undetectable drug that would cancel out the crude flavoring of a tranquilizer.

Rhys scoffed. She should have seen it coming. It had been inevitable, but if she would not have eaten it, it would have been laced into another meal.

She had the vague memory of waking up on a cool, metal table. Blinding lights and unfamiliar, smiling faces. The sharpness of a too long needle going into her marrow, the godawful sensation of the tip of the needle sliding through each layer of skin, past muscle and into bone. Eyes narrowed at the remembrance of the pain. She couldn't flinch or squirm away from the pain, Rhys had been held down by various people. Too many people for her comfort.

Rhys could only wait in thorough anxiety, because not only did they take her marrow. They took her blood.

The likelihood to possess a various ability all lied in the DNA, an extra strand had form during formation of the body cells during the growing process of the fetus, resulting in a genetic defect causing the ranging abilities that could be possessed. Her time spent with the Order was short, the time actually staying in the compound, that is. But when she was there, Rhys was always with the lone Omniscient.

An all knowing man of the age of ninety six.

Blind in one eye and missing a leg, the man, Junior, was full of character and basked in Rhys's presence, enjoying her attentive company. And better yet, he was the Herbalist of the group, teaching various classes on assassination by poisons. Taught the many plants that were poisonous, taught how to brew poisons together.

Rhys herself was extremely attentive in the art of poisons, excelling in his lessons, and became his assistant during her free time when she came back to the Order's compound.

She frowned. It had been years since she had been to the facilities, nearly avoiding them at all cost. Dirty leers and curious eyes were not her favorite thing to have watching her, preferring the company of a handsome man instead.

The swoosh of an automatic door sliding open caught her rapt attention. While Rhys was down towards the end of the hall, it was still quiet enough to hear the doors opening. On instinct, her eyes traveled to the sky, only to realize there was no sun to determine what time it actually was. She did not even get a single window. The little fuckers, it seemed, wanted her to go apeshit on them.

Clicking of heels against concrete flooring echoed down the hall, blue eyes stayed high, burning fictional holes into the ceiling. As they got closer, her muscles jumped with nervousness, fingers tapped slowly against skin.

The heels stopped near her.

Her mouth ran dry at the prospect of someone coming to get her, but that fear steeled her with fierce determination. Rhys never went down with out a fight, even when the odds where not in her favor. She wouldn't die like a coward, she would take a few people with her.

A throat cleared. Her tapping ceased.

Sitting up, Rhys was still not facing them. But she turned her head, chin resting against her shoulder, showing that she was listening.

"Hello, 1037DH." Rhys prickled at the name. She was not some nameless nutcase.

She stayed silent, looking down at her hands as they laid in her lap.

"I am Dr. Onchi, I have somethings to discuss with you." A sickly sweet feminine voice. "If you would respond that would be lovely."

She eyed her mattress. And lack of it on the steel bed frame. Rhys smiled.

"You are an extraordinary creature, 1073DH, remarkable actually. Usually when we test a humans blood we do not find it in our system, normally it is the first time we log you into the system. But you, Miss have already beat us to it." Rhys furrowed her brows. Just how did her blood get into the national system.

"Of course it took us a few hours to locate the submitter, and truthfully we were simply astounded at your importance to the country. To the West at least, and to our – " before the woman could drone on further, Rhys cut her off...by throwing the bed frame at the fiberglass.

A large smirk etched itself across her face as a crack crawled every which way. On the other side of it stood a classy woman.

Dressed in a white dress, a white lab coat brushed against her lower calves, glasses rested against a slender nose. Almond shapes eyes dark with a soft hue of brown, a shapely figure held a translucent tablet against her chest, fear evident in her stance. Honey hair was pulled into a bun at the crown of her head, tendrils escaping from the force of her flinching away from the glass wall.

The doctor blew a stuttering breath through cheeks.

"Now that is out of your system," Rhys rushed up to glass, beating on it relentlessly, ignoring the bolts of electricity sent through her body and the spikes of pain from the harshness of the glass.

When she saw she wasn't making any progress, she calmly walked over to her mattress, sitting on it.

"You are an extreme vital part to someone that is very important, I cannot have you being harmed in the next few days. In the meantime you should rest up, perhaps a good shower is in need?" The woman smiled warmly at her.

Rhys glared at the beast, she would not be patronized by a dog.

Flying up from her perch on the mattress, she rammed her body into the glass, head giving a pathetic smack against the hard material. Pain shot through her body as she fell back, passing out from the force of her head slamming against the floor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ugh. It's short. I know.

Comment. Vote. Love goats.