Chapter One

UNEDITED

       Dark skies rumbled with the promise of rain, shadowing the midday sun, though it did not deter the civilians from going about their day. Calm, secretive eyes watched from their perch on an abandoned rooftop, crouched low into the shadows, silently observing the bazaar below.

        The view below her created a sour taste in her mouth, the many beasts roamed throughout the streets, bullying the human merchants into lowering their prices. It angered her to no end, those people had it hard enough, they needed every penny they could get and the Wolves knew this, yet they barely paid a penny.

       It used to be different, the older Wolves used to live in harmony with the humans, living under the radar. Few humans knew about them then, but now, their population has boomed, practically infecting the Earth. Especially America — New America as they called it now. Out of all the nations effected by World War III or the Wild War, New America went under the most destruction. Bombings hit the major cities, civil wars broke out in almost every state. This effectively destroying everything that had been built over the past several hundred years.

      Rhys was no stranger to this knowledge, having grown up in Wild War, losing both parents at a young age did not help either. The mere thought of it angered her, making the skies rumble along with her mind.

     Scanning the area below her she searched for a dark haired man with a tribal tattoo on the side of his face. Uruke Roin, a man who had a hit placed on him. He was severely unlucky if you asked her, to be specifically taken out by her. Rhys was one of the best, a Jack of all Trades to most. Her special ability had her rising up in the ranks of the secret society of thieves and assassins.

       To come across one of them was few and far between, her group was the largest out there, the quad was a strange group.

       "Rhys, there, it's open." The cheerful voice of Marius chirped in her ears.

       Her turning her head to look where the lean boy had been insinuating, she saw that Roin was leaving. Swearing under her breath, she snatched up her ratty bag and ran across the roof tops after him with Marius nipping at her heels. The clouds started to drip water, echoing her frustration.

        With her mood deeply darkening, she settled on the edge of a distorting building, rubble laid around the base of the structure. She pulled out a metal knife, stroking the delicately sharpened tip while watching the Wolf strode down the nearly vacant sidewalk.

       "Stay back Marius," she hissed lowly, her voice barely audible in the thundering weather.

      Sparing a quick glance over her shoulder to make sure the gangly blonde had escaped the area, she turned her attention back on the oblivious Wolf. His long legs were clad in a dark jean, upper body concealed in an equally dark leather jacket. Narrowing her eyes at the crackling sky, she summons her energy, pulling a lightening bolt out of the sky and into the knife as she threw it.

     The booming clap of thunder rang through her ears, stray bolts travel through her body. Instead of knocking her off of her feet and killing her, it strengthened her. She trembled with adrenaline as she watched the man below convulse as his life slowly slipped away into a bleak nothingness.

     For a moment it all went silent, the clouds gather and became darker, but drove away the lightening. The forcible winds ceased and she stared at the man she was assigned to for the first time from a distance.