Chapter Four

Unedited

      Walking through the milling streets in an unknown section of the main city, Rhys wore a malicious glare on her face, hidden underneath the hood of her trench coat. Her hands were tinted with blue and purple, from the lack of circulation, the ropes were bound tightly around her wrists. The pair of Lycans led her through the slums of the city, leaving her unknowing of where they were. She could not yet tell if she was near a known sector or not, too busy caught up in her mind to truly process anything.

The harsh yank from her captors woke her from her stupor. Rhys began to notice the curious eyes of the many Lycans who had stopped their milling around to glance at the red haired human. Murmurs flew through the slowly walking crowds like a rising tide. She contemplated escaping, but recalling the earlier conversation amongst the two mangy beasts, if women with red hair were in such a high demand, then any one would leap at the chance to get their paws on her. Literally.

Shaking her head a bit, scarlet hair fell over her tanned face, blue eyes peeked out through the thick curtains of hair. Rhys began to think once more.

Why was it just women with red hair? Red was a recessive gene and not common in many bloodlines, true, but how did it make them different from society, how did it make them have a bounty on their heads? Many times Rhys had walked through the markets, no one had dared lay a finger on her until now. Even as she was growing up, many men and women alike had numerous chances to forcefully take her to the Capital, many chances to indulge in the so called spoils that would be bestowed upon them if she was brought in.

It hit her like a freight train.

They were looking for someone. She refused to be brought in like a lamb for slaughter, helpless and vulnerable. Digging her heels into the ground, she yanked her arms back, surprising the mangy wolves. The strength that it took to simply slip from their grip caused a searing burn to creep up her back and into her shoulders. A few gasps echoed through the lingering crowd, most likely humans shocked at her openly defying the higher beasts. But what they did not know was that the beasts were no different than them, they bleed red, same as mortals. Blue eyes meet the two hybrid males, their snarling faces twisted into something malicious.

That was her cue.

Turning quickly, she darted through crowd, soon being swallowed in the thick throngs of the creatures. A small shiver came over her as she summoned the heat, her body came alive with the charge of electricity, burning the tightly knotted ropes of her wrists. Air tore at her hair and clothes as she pushed herself faster, harder, Rhys never would be tamed. And definitely not by the Lycans who place themselves higher than her. They did not know the extent of the Council, they could shake the world apart if need be, they could wipe out the entire population. But the Council didn't. They sat back and watched as the world crumbled down around them.

Tears burned at Rhys's eyes, the crisp wind comforted her as a familiar ache formed in her legs. Skidding to a halt, she hooked her hands around a drain pipe, scurrying up the rusted metal. Lungs heaved and constricted, desperate for oxygen. Collapsing on the tin roof top, she listened for any pursuing mutts.

"Good god." She sighed in disbelief at how quickly her newly rebuilt world had started to crumble.

Her brothers had made a pact. Seven days and a no show, do not come back. For the protection of the Order, a silent assassin was better than being silenced by someone else. It had been eleven days, the dogs were excessively slow to getting to the Capital. The tears just kept coming, she had no home any longer.

Taking a deep breath, Rhys composed herself. She was a grown woman that could easily handle herself. Nineteen, pushing twenty.

Shaky legs barely supported her weight, the lack of nutrients and water evident in her stance. She was weak. The use of her power and running as long and as far as she did nearly drained her.