Thirteen. Electricity and Fire

(A/N- I hope you enjoy this chapter.  Next update will probably be this weekend!  Thank you for all of the comments, votes and reads!!  xx )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“It smells amazing, Anne” I beamed and kissed her good morning. 

“Thanks, love.  Be a dear and place this on the table, please.”

“Of course” I smiled through my nervousness as I took the bowl of freshly cut fruit from her hands and turned towards the table; the table at which Harry was currently sitting. 

Knowing this house like my own, I walked into the kitchen to greet everyone without looking at Harry at the table.  I knew he was there but I knew that I could easily avoid him, until now.

There he sat, arms resting on the table, hands clasped together with his head down.  Even without seeing his face yet, I knew he felt guilty that he was here.  I could sense that he knew he should have stayed away knowing that I would be here.  I had no right to make him stay away from his own parents’ home and I would never even think to demand such a thing but I could sense that he was regretting his decision to show up unannounced.

I set the bowl down in the center of the table and only when the porcelain of the bowl hit the wood on the table did Harry look up; directly into my eyes.  My suspicions of him feeling regret were confirmed with the fact that his eyes were not as bright as they usually were.  They also had a watery gloss over them, moments from tears.  I didn’t want him hurt.  I wanted him to feel comfortable in his own family home even if that meant that I would be uncomfortable.

“It’s ok” I softly said so that only he and I could hear.  I placed my hand on his to reassure him and then took it away not a moment later knowing that was probably not the smartest idea.  I shouldn’t do anything that could potentially lead him on.  I walked away from the table and back towards my mother who was now helping Anne.

We all sat at the dining table, everyone but Harry and me deeply in conversation.  To me it all seemed slightly forced, like our parents and Gemma were trying to diffuse the tension radiating from Harry and me but it wasn’t working.  Their efforts failing because Harry and I were anything but calm.

We would occasionally glance at one another but quickly look away when our eyes would meet.  I knew the rest of the day and into tomorrow when we finally leave would be filed with me keeping my distance and staying away from him when all possible.  The task seemed tiresome.

“I’m going to clean up.  Thank you for breakfast.  It was great.” I stated towards Anne and nodded at my parents and stood up from the table with my plates in my hand.

“Ok, dear.” Mum replied and smiled.  I placed my dishes in the sink and walked towards the stairs.  I could feel Harry’s eyes on me the entire way. 

The shower was calming, soothing and kept me from the outside world if only for twenty minutes.  But in those twenty minutes I felt peace.  I felt calm.  I felt good about what I would be facing for the next twenty four hours.