Door 4 - Chapter 51 - Pink

Start from the beginning

To Harris's surprise, Huey was positively enjoying the attention; even with the shirts with the James Bond logo, where they were made to pose as if shooting someone. After an embarrassing half hour, the store manager was satisfied with the pictures and the charmed woman left, although she slipped her phone number in Harris's pocket before.

"See? The ladies love a sensitive man," said Zafina.

"Thanks for bringing it to my notice," he said sardonically. "But I don't date."

"How come?" She asked, for the first time sounding legitimately intrigued.

"Pretty much the same reason as you wearing that scarf," he replied, surveying himself in the mirror and imagining himself walking in public like that.

She didn't throw any further jabs. He barely regarded her, though, as his sight was now on Huey. He was posing in the mirror, pretending to be in a commercial, which amused Harris. However, the joy on the boy's face was more pleasant to witness. With a much cleaner appearance, Harris realized just how young Huey really was.

Harris recalled shopping with his own father, who would never give him a choice when picking clothes, assuming his taste was the best. There were many times when an argument would break down between them in the middle of the store. His mother's intervention would usually quell their bickering, at which point his father would give in and let Harris choose whatever he liked.

That was probably the reason he was so disgruntled with the posing now; he was never used to shopping without an argument. Despite those arguments, though, his father had never denied Harris anything. From clothes to games to food, he made sure Harris was provided with the best.

Once he was on his own, he didn't care much for taste, be it clothes or any other matter. Maybe because it reminded him too much of his father, thought Harris. Regardless, he never dwelled upon it too long.

"That looks great on you," Zafina complimented loudly, snapping his reverie. Huey had walked out wearing a different shirt.

"Uh, it's pink. Why would he buy that?"

"Why wouldn't he?"

"Because he's a boy."

"Boys can't wear pink?"

"It's usually reserved for girls for a reason."

"Please, spare me your old-fashioned way of thinking," Zafina told him off. "I think that color looks great on him."

"Well, I'm sorry for having an opinion." He said heatedly.

"Have all the opinions you want, just don't force them upon him."

"Oh, like you haven't been forcing anything so far."

"Guys, don't fight. I don't like this shirt." Huey told them and went back in to change.

There was an uncomfortable silence between the two of them that was broken by Zafina.

"Sorry, I was getting out of hand there. It's just that I'm kind of used to people forcing their opinions on me. But I shouldn't have said what I did."

Harris calmed down with her apology.

"It's fine. I was kind of forcing him, anyway, I guess I take a bit from my father."

"Then how did you guys settle your arguments?"

"We waited for my mother to arrive."

"That's one way of handling things." Zafina laughed. "And, don't worry about all these clothes. I'm going to pay for it all. I took a little too far with that modeling joke."

"No, no, I insist. I'll be paying."

"How come? Didn't look like you were enjoying it."

Harris simply shrugged in a noncommittal manner. Zafina didn't press him for an answer. At the counter, once Harris had paid the manager, Huey pulled out two additional garments. The first of which was a pink scarf.

"I'll pay for these myself. This is for you, Zafina." He handed her the scarf. "I didn't buy the shirt you liked but I like your choice. So I think you'll like this. Plus, if you hadn't made us think about it, we would've still been wearing those dirty clothes."

"That's real nice of you," she replied, looking moved.

The second was for Harris, and he didn't need any explanation as to why Huey bought it for him.

"Because I'm the Chicken Man?" He asked dryly, the shirt had a giant drumstick plastered on the front.

"Exactly." The boy replied, unable to suppress a laugh.