Chapter 23 • Still Your Cure

For the past week, Emerson and I have been going out on little "dates." One day we'd go for Starbucks, the next we'd go for bowling. Just the typical hang outs we had just like when we first met. I knew she wasn't completely mine again, but just knowing I would be able to foolishly flirt with her without feeling guilty just lifted my spirits. Little by little, I was closer to seeing Emerson smile that one genuine smile I've missed seeing, the smile that only I could cause. Everyone who really knew Emerson, knew she had many types of smiles. All of them were real of course, but she just never stuck to one smile. She has her happy smile which showed up around people she loved like her family and friends. She had her friendly smile that she used around people she didn't know too well. And then she had her Ashton smile, which appeared on her face every time I made her laugh or kissed her nose, stuff like that. Every time she smiled her Ashton smile, there would be a twinkle in her eyes and her nose would crinkle up a bit causing her freckles to dance along the bridge of her nose. Her dimples would be extra noticeable, sometimes I would poke one of her dimples and her freckles would dance some more and her nose would crinkle up more and an unforgettable laugh would escape from her pink lips. And that right there is my most favorite look on Emerson; doesn't matter what she's wearing, how her hair looks, or if she has makeup on, every time she had this look on her face, I fall for her all over again.

I moved back in and Emerson shared a room with me again. Harry wasn't mad at us, in fact he seemed happy whenever he saw us together. I really hope he's actually talking to girls now instead of going back to his old routine of just sexing them up. Emerson, Harry, and I all wrote our own twitlongers to send to the Directioners and the 5SOS Fam just explaining what happened between all three of us and mentioning to not give any more hate to Emerson, the fans didn't know how severe her anxiety is but we just gave them reasons like if Harry and I don't hate Em, then they shouldn't either. We encountered the typical one or two haters but so far most of the fans were supportive. There were a lot more Asherson shippers than Hemerson shippers now that Hemerson was over, but hey I'm not complaining. ;)

"Ash," Emerson sleepily cuddled closer onto my chest, "what time is it?"

"8 am, what time do you have to go to work?"

"Noon, ugh I'm too tired to go. Can't I just stay here in bed with you?" She gave me a pouty face that I wish I could kiss right now.

"As much as I want that to happen, no Em. Rikki's going to get mad, you've already been late to work for the past three days!"

"Because you're the one who makes me late!"

"So no more little dates then?"

"Noooo I love our little dates!"

"Don't blame this on me you little one, you choose to go on these dates with me and basically you're choosing to be late soooo," I poked her nose.

"Speaking of dates," she got up off the bed and walked over to her suitcase, "where are you planning on taking me today?"

I sat up on my elbow and watched her tiny little body looking especially tiny with my big shirt on her move around the room, "I was just planning on taking you out for Starbucks, nothing too fancy"

"Okay! I'll be out in a minute," she smiled and took her clothes into the bathroom.

I grabbed Em's phone and called Rikki.

"Hello?"

"Hey Rik, it's Ashton"

"Oh hey Ash, what's up? Don't tell me Emerson's missing work today, I mean I love her but I can still fire her"

I laughed, "No she'll be there and on time too. I know how much Emerson hates working but I know she needs the money so I'm not blowing this for her"