Chapter 11 • Heartbreak Girl

EMERSON'S POV

It was Saturday morning and the boys finally were finished with their studio sessions. I wanted to go to the mall or something but no the boys have to 'chill' for their concerts next week. I sat in Ash's room, scrolling through his twitter mentions. It's sad seeing how many fans would do anything to get a follow from Ash but can't because its hard to get noticed when there are 500 other people trying to get a follow also. I wish Ash could follow every single fan but I know that's probably impossible and I wouldn't want his timeline overflowing. I smiled at the cute tweets people sent Ash after he tweeted "Never good enough :,(" which was just because Luke didn't give him the last slice of pizza last night. Then I saw a tweet from this girl...Ashlee. She tweeted him, "hey we're taking on the world."
Ash has never talked about her before...she was really pretty and she has old pictures of her and Ashton on her account.

"ASSSSSHHHHH!"
"Yeah?" Ashton walked in and sat on the bed with me.
"Who's this Ashlee girl?"
"Ohhhhh" Ashton looked down.
"Ash?"
"You and I aren't even together, why do you even care?"
I raised my eyebrows and walked out of the room. Ashton's never yelled at me before. It pains me just thinking about us fighting.

Luke was sitting on the couch by himself. I walked over to him and rested my head on his lap.
"What's wrong Emerson?"
"I think Ashton and I are in a fight"
"What? What happened?"
"I was looking through his twitter mentions, looking at the fans' tweets but then I saw this Ashlee girl tweet him. She was really pretty. I was looking through her twitter and she posted pictures with Ashton. And the fans kept tweeting things like Ashton was dating her or they liked eachother for a long time. So I asked Ash about it and he flipped out saying that him and I aren't even together so why do I care. He's never yelled at me like that before. Luke why's he so mad? Is there something going on with them?"

LUKE'S POV

Emerson found out about Ashlee. "Emerson I don't think I should be the one to tell you.." I bit my lip out of nervousness. She started tearing up and I took her in my arms, "No Emerson don't cry, it's nothing"
She pulled away, "if it's nothing then why can't you just tell me?!"
I saw Ashton walk into the room through the corner of my eye. Emerson turned around and that was my cue to go. So I walked into my room.

ASHTON'S POV

I sat next to Emerson. She had her face buried in her hands. She was crying. I did this to her. I wrapped my arms around her.

She sobbed on my shoulder, "Ash why can't you tell me? Do you guys have a thing?"
"Okay I'll tell you," I sighed, "But let's go to my room to talk."

"Okay we're in your room, are you going to tell me or are you just going to snap at me again?"
"I'm so sorry Emerson. I can't believe I yelled at you. I didn't mean it, I'm so sorry."
"Just tell me Ash."
"Alright. Ashlee's my ex girlfriend. And my first love. We were in a normal relationship until One Direction noticed my band. I told her about how we were going on tour with One Direction, and she completely changed. I just thought she couldn't handle not seeing me for months. But I was wrong. It didn't really seem like she missed me when I left to go on tour. Like my whole family was crying and all my friends, she was the only one not crying. We Facetimed and texted while I was away and she would always ask me about One Direction, mostly Harry Styles. So when we had a concert back home, she got to go backstage, courtesy of me. The boys and I performed but all I could think about was Ashley and how much I missed her and how happy I was to see her again. We finished performing and the dressing room door was locked. I figured one of the boys were changing. I waited by the door for a few minutes and Harry walked out. He told me that he just banged a hot one in there and he asked me who brought her. I wasn't worried, I figured it was one of Lou's friends or something. Ashlee was the last person on my list. But when I walked in, the only girl there was Ashlee. She told me these exact words, 'It was Harry fucking Styles. That's a once in a lifetime opportunity. If that was Megan Fox, you'd do it too.' But that wasn't true it doesn't matter who it was, I would've never done that her, to anyone. So I just walked away and went to talk to Harry about it. Harry told me that Ashlee was flirting with him and he admitted he thought she was hot so that's why he got up on her but he told me he didn't know that she was my girlfriend and he apologized. Then he ordered security to take Ashlee and then I broke up with her the next day before I left home. She didn't even seem sad about it. I was the opposite. She was my first love. Even if she didn't love me, I still loved her. I stayed in my bed for days, crying. Josh Devine, One Direction's drummer, even had to fill in for me at the concerts. But I eventually got over it and her. And that's when Harry started dating Taylor and Ashlee decided to write a song to Harry about it. Search it later. Anyway, Harry saw it and he dm'ed Ashlee telling her to get away from him and stuff and how their one night stand was just a big mistake. So after Harry rejected her, she went back to me. I almost gave in a few times because I missed the feeling of being loved so much. But my mates helped me and I never gave in to her but she still keeps going after me, up to now. But I'm done with her Em. She's out of my life. For good." I grabbed Emerson's hands, "why did you want to know so much about her?"
"You and I aren't even together, why do you even care?" She smirked.

I pulled her into my lap and wrapped my arms around her, taking in her warmth. Then Emerson helped me type out meaningful dm to Ashlee telling her that I was done with her and to stay out of my life.

***

EMERSON'S POV

I was enjoying a game of Candy Crush when I got a text from a really familiar number. I read the text and instantly my eyes widened.
"ASHTONNNNN!"
"Emerson? What? Are you okay?"
"I'm fine but he texted me."
"He? Who's he?"
"Brad."
Ashton's eyes widened, "what did he say?"
I showed Ashton the text:

I've been meaning to text you since the day I saw you at the shop but I just got your number now. Please tell me the guy you were with isn't your boyfriend. x

I decided to reply.

Emerson- How did you get my number? And no he's not, he's just a really good friend.
Brad- It took me a while but I got it from one of my friends who was friends with one of your friends, if that makes sense. Anyway, long time no see ;) how bout we meet up today? x
Emerson- Okay. Starbucks @ 3.

"Ash you have to come with me today"
"Why did you agree to go with him?"
"Because I want to tell him to lay off me. In person."
"Okay, I'll go with you"

***

"Emerson! Ah my god it's been so long, you look good" Brad said as he checked me out, "who's this?"
"This is Ashton, my friend who was with me at the shop"
"What, so you need a bodyguard now? I thought it was just going to be me and you?"
"It is," I whispered to Ashton that I would call him and he would answer and walk inside Starbucks but leave me on the line so he could hear Brad and my conversation.
Ashton's phone rang, "sorry I'm going to go take this"

"So Emerson, please don't tell me you're into that loser."
"That loser has a name and he happens to be my bestfriend"
"I thought the stuck up bitch was your bestfriend"
"The stuck up bitch has a name too, it's Presley. And I meant bestfriend that isn't family"
"The stuck up bitch isn't family, did you forget you were adopted?"
I bit my bottom lip to hold back the tears. I could see Ashton start to get up from his chair at Starbucks. I subtlety shook my head no, "Look Brad, I didn't come here to listen to you insult all of my friends and family"
"Then why did you come? Did you expect me taking you home and doing you like old times? Because that can still happen"
I turned to look at Ashton. He made fists with his hands and I could tell he looked pissed off, "I came here to tell you back off. Stay the fuck away from me. I've dealt with your shit for a whole year. I've been living 2 bullshit free years. Just because you saw me at the shop doesn't mean you can come back expecting me to fall in love with you again. I'm not dealing with you anymore. I've deleted your number and unfollowed you for a reason. And it'd be nice if you did the same. Oh and you want to take someone home tonight? Why don't you go call up that blonde you 'thought' was me? I think she'd like to ride you again. And look you're single, now no one gets hurt!" I walked away from him.
"Emerson wait!"
"No Brad, I'm done. Just stay away from me."
He grabbed my arm, "Em"
"Don't fucking call me that," I tried to escape his grasp. But he planted his lips on mine. I pushed him away and within a second Brad was on the floor, Ashton on top of him, punching the living shit out of him. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but then Brad got up and punched Ashton right back. Before things could get uglier, I grabbed Ashton and pulled him away from Brad, "Brad just leave!"

Brad left, the people near us stopped staring, and I had a dizzy Ash next to me on the way home.

I helped Ash sit on the couch. I went to the fridge to get ice but there was a note on the door.

'Boys and I went to go bowling. Sorry we didn't invite you guys, next time? love ya xx -Luke'

I quickly texted Luke.

Emerson- Thanks for the invite x
Luke- No problem :) did you tell him? 
Emerson- Brad? 
Luke- Yeah 
Emerson- Yeah, I'll tell you about it when you get home 
Luke- Okay, well did you tell HIM? 
Emerson- what? 
Luke- Emerson, who's the only guy we've been talking about for the past week? That HIM 
Emerson- Ash? No I didn't tell him. 
Luke- Emerson, I have to go but promise me you're going to tell him 
Emerson- when? 
Luke- Tonight. 
Emerson- .....alright. Promise. 

I sat next to Ash, he rested his head on my lap. I placed the ice on his eye, "how do you feel?"
"Like I've just been punched in the eye"
I giggled, "Why'd you have to do that Ash?"
"Because he kissed you, Em."
I played with his curls, "but you got hurt"
"I'd rather get punched a million times than for you to get kissed by a dick like him"
I smiled and kissed his forehead.

I took the ice off his eye.
"How does it look?"
"The swelling stopped, but it's really bruised" I lightly ran a finger on his black eye.
He flinched, "I don't think touching it is going to help, Em"
"Sorry!" I laughed, "Listen Ash seeing you protecting me today, it made me realize something. I have something to tell you."
"Can I go first? I took a punch for you"
I laughed and nodded my head. Ashton took my hand and guided me to his room. I sat on the bed and he sat next to me, he grabbed his guitar.

"Emerson, I'm not sure if you're fully over Brad yet, but I wrote this song about you. I finished it ages ago, I just kept it from you. Waiting for the right time, I guess. So here goes...

You call me up,
It's like a broken record
Saying that your heart hurts
That you never get over him getting over you,
And you end up crying
And I end up lying,
'Cause I'm just a sucker for anything that you do,

And when the phone call finally ends,
You say, "Thanks for being a friend,"
And we're going in circles again and again

I dedicate this song to you,
The one who never sees the truth,
That I can take away your hurt, heartbreak girl.
Hold you tight straight through the day light,
I'm right here. When you gonna realize
That I'm your cure, heartbreak girl?

I bite my tongue but I wanna scream out
You could be with me now
But I end up telling you what you wanna hear,
But you're not ready and it's so frustrating
He treats you so bad and I'm so good to you it's not fair.

And when the phone call finally ends
You say, "I'll call you tomorrow at 10,"
And I'm stuck in the friend zone again and again,

I dedicate this song to you,
The one who never sees the truth,
That I can take away your hurt, heartbreak girl.
Hold you tight straight through the day light,
I'm right here. When you gonna realize
That I'm your cure, heartbreak girl?

I know someday it's gonna happen
And you'll finally forget the day you met him
Sometimes I'm so close to confession,
I gotta get it through your head that you belong with me instead,

I dedicate this song to you,
The one who never sees the truth,
That I can take away your hurt, heartbreak girl.
Hold you tight straight through the day light,
I'm right here. When you gonna realise
That I'm your cure, heartbreak girl..."

I've been living here for a half a month and I've already had two songs written and sung to me, wow, just wow. Ash confessed his feelings towards me.

"Em, it'd be nice if you say something," Ash bit his bottom lip.
"You're my cure," I smiled before leaning in to much needed kiss.