Chapter 8 • Try Hard

EMERSON'S POV

It was Autumn right now and it was breezy in Chicago. The boys' flat always being 70 degrees didn't make it any better. I don't know how the boys walk around in their flat wearing muscle tees and t shirts, I walk around wearing a warm sweater with leggings and cozy socks!

I pulled my hair up in a quick messy bun and walked to the kitchen and brewed myself a cup of tea. I sat on the kitchen table, drinking my tea. I stared at Luke's bedroom door. It was closed. Then I realized he hadn't come out of his room since yesterday. I picked up my mug and walked over to Luke's room. Through the door I could hear him playing the guitar and singing. I couldn't make out the words though.

I lightly knocked on the door, "Luke? Can I come in?"

I heard him shuffle to the door, he opened it and I saw his guitar on his bed with a lot of pieces of paper around it.

"Were you writing a song?"

"Just finished," he smiled.

"Well can I hear it? What's it about?" I moved some pieces of paper around and took a seat on Luke's bed.

He sat across from me and grabbed his guitar, "it's about you. Like my feelings toward you"

My eyebrows raised and then he started strumming.

"She's dropping out of school 'cause she don't need the grade,

The colors in her hair don't seem to fade,

I get dressed up when I go out but she gets dressed down.

She's 18 I've told her I'm 20,

I couldn't take her out 'cause Mike's got no money,

It's stuff like this that makes me wish that I could change somehow

Sitting here at home, it's obvious

She's so out of reach, and I'm finding it hard

'Cause she makes me feel, makes me feel,

Like I try, like I try, like I'm trying too hard,

'Cause I'm not being me, and it's getting me down

That she makes me think, makes me think,

That I try, that I try, that I'm trying too hard again

'Cause I'm trying too hard again

She's got a rose tattoo but she keeps it covered,

I play guitar but she's into drummers,

She's seen my face around but she doesn't even know my name

I pierced my lip so she thinks I'm cool,

I ripped my jeans and dropped out of school,

I followed her 'round the town but she thinks that I'm a weirdo now

Sitting here at home, it's obvious

She's so out of reach, and I'm finding it hard

'Cause she makes me feel, makes me feel,

Like I try, like I try, like I'm trying too hard,

'Cause I'm not being me, and it's getting me down

That she makes me think, makes me think,

That I try, that I try, that I'm trying too hard again.."

Luke swallowed and put his guitar down. He looked at me, I was speechless.

"Why Luke? Why would you lie and do all those things just to impress me?"

He put his hand on the back of his neck, "I...like you"

"Oh Luke," I pulled him in for a hug.

"I guess that means that you don't like me back"

"I'm sorry, sweetie. How old are you really?"

"17"

"Did you really drop out of school just because I did?"

"No, I graduated early"

"Okay...and that line...I play guitar but she's into drummers..what's that supposed to mean?"

"You're into Ashton. Well he's at least into you," Luke's face dropped.

"I'm sorry Luke, but I think of you as my little brother, not my boyfriend" I hugged him again, "let's find you a new girl though. Hmmm how about I hook you up with my sister?"

Luke's face instantly lit up, "the really cute blonde next to you at the concert?"

"Oh so you noticed her?"

"I kept looking over at her during most of the concert, then I noticed you next to her and I didn't know who to look at but I smiled at her"

"Oh I know," I rolled my eyes as I remember Presley screaming and digging her nails into my arm when Luke smiled at her, "Anyway, she's staying at her friend's flat for a few more weeks so once she gets back, I'll introduce you"

"Thanks Emerson" Luke hugged me.

"No problem, just be yourself! You're her favorite in the band and she fell in love with the Luke she saw on stage, not the 'piercing my lip so she thinks I'm cool' Luke" I ruffled his hair and walked out of his room and into the kitchen to wash the dishes.

I swear, none of these boys cleans up after themselves. A strand of my hair fell in front of my face but both my hands were soapy so I tried blowing it back.

"Need some help?" Ash laughed.

"Please"

I turned my head to the side and he slowly pushed the strand behind my ear.

"You know that you don't have to do the dishes"

"If I don't, then we wouldn't have clean plates to use"

"The boys and I usually do rock, paper, scissors at the end of the week but whatever floats your boat"

I finished up with the dishes and then spent the rest of the day with Luke, giving him the do's and don'ts for when he meets Presley. He wouldn't be seeing her in about 3 more weeks and he was already nervous and excited. How adorable.