Twelve

Exams were awful. Good thing it was Wednesday, after that they were on break.

Amelia wasn't a good test taker, and it was apparent. Ivan, on the other hand, was okay when it came to that.

He noticed how fidgety she was. She would shake her leg and erase things from her paper often. Good thing this was their last test that week. Nothing else after that, and then they were on break for a couple weeks.

Well, it would be almost over for Ivan. He had a performance that would be worth seventy five percent of his exam grade in orchestra. So that will be fun.

Just thinking about made his heart race, which wasn't good. He was so afraid of playing in front of everyone, and of messing up in front of Amelia at the concert. He would be ashamed if he embarrasses himself tonight...

So Ivan just sat at his desk, his essay for the exam and the group project finished and turned in. He was bored... There was nothing to do but watch the clock.

Amelia couldn't waste as much time as Ivan could. She tried her hardest to write a good essay, but she had a feeling that her teacher might have to ask her what's going on in her house.

Again.

But that's alright, because most of her other exams ended up going pretty well.

This one wasn't going to end up going the way she wanted in the first place anyways, because she felt pressured writing her essay. Was it because of Arthur staring at her from the left side of the classroom, or the clock ticking? She didn't know.

She hadn't notice how loud the clock was until the teacher told them there were thirty minutes left. Her hand was on fire as she wrote vigorously.

Finally, she finished, and with ten minutes to spare. She set the test on the top of a pile on the teacher's desk, and walked exhaustedly back to her seat. Her brain was fried, all she wanted to do after this was sleep.

There was ten minutes. Ten minutes, and she would get ready to see Ivan perform. She was so excited, she couldn't help but feel proud of the poor boy.

Although she pitied him, it was only because of his low self esteem. Other than that, she felt jealous because her parents were always on business trips, so all she ate were cup noodles and microwave raviolis while Ivan had a home cooked meal. He may have a small house, but it was always cozy and warm with the notion of family to her. Her house was big and empty all the time...

He had no idea how lucky he was, for the time being.

One other thing that Amelia thought about was how backwards he was. Someone must've pounded in his head that he was a bad person, because the poor boy thought he was a monster. It was kind of sad...

He'd be fine though! With her as a friend, he'd get better. Right?

That settled it for Amelia, knowing that he felt happy being her friend. He seemed much less depressed that he usually looked.

She looked over to Ivan, and smirked when she saw the bored look on his face. Then she looked to Arthur, smiling weakly at him. He looked away, and rested his head in his hands. 'How weird,' She thought, 'He's been acting up lately... I should check on him after class.'

Those ten minutes were spent in quiet, Amelia's thoughts all over the place. She was snapped out of her daze when the bell rang, and the kids started filing out of the classroom. Ivan made a beeline for the door, making sure not to be caught with Amelia in front of Arthur.

Amelia went to walk out of the classroom, but to her reluctance and Arthur's convenience, the teacher called her to her desk to discuss a grade or something.

Arthur caught Ivan by his scarf, yanking him back into an empty hall. Ivan was surprised by this, and instead of fighting Arthur, he immediately grabbed his own chest.

"Listen here, you damn communist.." Arthur spat, trying to violently shove Ivan up against the lockers behind him but failing due to the difference in weight between the two.

"Stop hanging around Amelia, you hear me? She's only your friend out of pity If I were her, I wouldn't even want to be seen with a freak who wears a scarf year round." He narrowed his eyes at Ivan.

The Ruskie could only push the feisty Brit out of the way, and continue walking. What Arthur said angered him, but he knew it wasn't worth his time to get in a fight with him.

"Whatever, just leave me alone." Ivan mumbled passively as he walked down the hall.

Arthur followed him, and yanked his shoulder back and went to punch Ivan in his oversized nose, but the taller young man caught his fist before it reached his face.

"Okay, you listen, Arthur. I'm not dealing with you right now, this isn't worth the time for either of us and you know it." To translate, that means 'I could take you but I don't feel like it.'

Arthur was so infuriated, he yanked his fist from Ivan's grasp and tried to take another swing at him. Ivan was getting impatient with the pissy Brit, so he shoved him to the ground and ran in the opposite direction so he could maybe get away from him. Arthur was quick to get up and chase after him so he could attempt to fight him, but when he jumped to tackle Ivan he knocked a certain blonde over.

"Arthur?!" Amelia yelled, watching him try to beat up Ivan. She walked over to the scene, where Ivan was trying to push Arthur off of him while Arthur tried grabbing the others hair so he could hold his head still enough to punch him.

"Arthur, stop!!" Amelia tried breaking up the two.

A teacher quickly came to the scene, and Amelia's mother quickly behind.

"What in God's name is going on?!" The teacher exclaimed, pulling Amelia off and finally get Arthur off of Ivan.

Ivan sat up unscathed, while Arthur was out of breath from trying to swing at him.

"Mom, you're home early!" Amelia laughed nervously, her hands fidgeting.

The woman shook her head, "You have some explaining to do..."