One

Ivan was a slow kid. He was the out of place one, but once you got to know him, he was much more. He liked space exploration and science, and liked music. He liked listening to the humming of the dryer in the laundry room, the air-conditioning starting up at 4 in the morning. He heard the fan creak in his room, and he heard the ring of a doorbell across the street. These all were just different instruments to one large symphony in Ivan's head.

Being in his own little world, Ivan had made a reputation for himself as being "deep in thought", and "serious". He was a large fellow as well, so his fairly "serious" attitude and grand stature made for a difficult time in school.

He didn't wish to have formed this reputation for himself, it wasn't him. He just wished someone would see him for who he was. He was an even-tempered, smart boy who loves music. That was what he was, nothing more, nothing less.

Though, the children at the school thought otherwise. They all assumed he was violent and intimidating. So, he ate lunch alone, worked assignments alone, played his music alone, was at school alone. The ones who truly knew him and were close to him was his family.

His sisters knew who he really was, Katyusha and Natalia. They loved him very much. Sometimes a little too much, but Ivan couldn't complain.

His parents understood as well. His father felt distance between his son, but his mother put that distance between her and her son. After what happened, she didn't know how to approach him. And if she wasn't willing to make the connection, neither was Ivan.

But that's Ivan for you. Smart, stubborn, passive.

-∆-

"Late to class again, Jones?"

First period was Language Arts for Amelia, unfortunately. She couldn't keep her eyes open in that class to save her life.

Although her attention span was short, she was still very promising academically. She was good at math and science, and she enjoyed reading. She was athletic as well as smart, and had many friends. She was the perfect mix for being popular.

She laughed a laugh that put any Bach concerto to shame, and sat in her seat. Ivan sat two rows away from her, and noticed the sound of her fingers thrumming on the table. Oh, how he hated that sound! He stared at her, hoping that his piercing gaze would make her stop.

She was oblivious though, which aggravated him even more. The only thing he could focus on was how much he wanted her to stop tapping her fingers continuously on the desk. But he couldn't, and he knew if she got mad at him she could easily spread a rumor or two. He tried listening to what the teacher said until he was about to rip his hair out.

He just sat through the rest of class with that sound. "Badududum... Badududum... Badududum..." He rested his head on his desk, and covered his ears. He hated this sound, and it had been going on for fifteen minutes! He decided he needed to step out of the classroom, but could not escape when the teacher started passing back an assignment.

Only when Amelia went to grab her paper did she stop. All Ivan could think was "hallelujah!". He could focus on his paper, get it done.

"I forgot to mention, for this assignment you'll be assigned to partners, and you'll have to make a presentation." Ivan couldn't suppress a groan, resting his head in his hand an waiting to hear who he was assigned to.

"...Antonio will be working with Gilbert, Francis' partner is Arthur..." A certain Brit rolled his eyes.

"And last but not least, Amelia. You're paired with Ivan." Ivan also couldn't help but facepalm. She would surely be the death of him, as he was sure she drank four cups of coffee each morning.

"I don't believe we've ever really talked before, Braginsky! She greeted him. He weakly smiled at her, all of the sudden feeling too drained to socialize. "I'm sure you'll make a fine partner." Her bright tone of voice was so energetic it made Ivan feel exhausted just listening to her.

"Yes, you as well." He made eye contact briefly with her, the intense blues of her eyes giving him a migraine. He was just generally overwhelmed by her presence.

"So all we have to do is make a cheesy PowerPoint about the last chapter of this book, right? I guess that means I'll have to read it! Haha!" She joked, her laugh like that of choir bells.

Ivan didn't like not knowing how to feel about her. Everything about her read "I'm extremely likable!", but Ivan didn't know if he liked her energy or outright hated it.

He laughed a short, quiet laugh at her joke, but cut it off when he asked her about when they would work on it.

"I was thinking we meet at one of our places to work on it, but my parents are out of town... Would you be willing to let me over?"

Ivan nodded. On the inside, he screamed at himself. "Why did I do that!?? I don't want a girl, especially her, at my house!!" Oh, great..

"You're the best, Braginsky! How about you sit with me at lunch today? We can get a headstart on this." He thought about it.. He could skip a day of practicing and work on the project. It wouldn't hurt, right?

"Sure." He smiled to cover up how mixed his feelings were. It shook him, how powerful and influential her gaze, her voice, her personality was.

Ivan secretly couldn't get enough of her, but he didn't listen to what his heart told him.