Forgetful: For middleschooler2017

Forgetful

For middleschooler2017

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are 18. Hiccup is 19.

Mild yandere

***********************

He watched you. Your back was facing him. You leaned back onto the palms of your hands. Though he couldn't see, he knew you were absent mindedly kicking your legs from where they dangled over the edge. Most people would probably fret over the possibility of you plummeting into the ocean, however, he knew the only way you'd go over the edge would be voluntarily. Y'all had gone cliff diving many times before, too. He always enjoyed the adrenaline filled scream you made every time you went down.

"Are you just going to keep staying, or will you join me?" you suddenly questioned, not turning around.

He chuckled, shaking his head as he broke past the tree line and sat behind you. He pulled you back so you laid against his chest.

"You're warm," you hummed.

"And you're freezing. How long have you been out here?"

"I don't know. A few hours, maybe. I took a nap so I'm not entirely certain. I came right after we had breakfast."

"Breakfast? (Y/ N), I haven't seen you since we had breakfast yesterday morning."

"Oh. It doesn't feel like I've been out here that long," you mumbled to yourself.

He sighed, "(Y/ N), there is only so much I can do. You need to remember to take care of yourself."

"I know. I try."

His gripped tightened. "Trying is not his enough, (N/ N)."

"Hiccup, you're hurting me."

"Sorry," he quickly apologized, relaxing his grip. "I just want you to be safe and happy."

"I am both happy and safe," you assured.

He sighed, "And if you froze to death during your "nap" last night? You're lucky we had a mild night. Two nights ago and you'd have frozen to death."

"Hiccup, calm down. I'm fine. Still alive. Still breathing and punching and whatever- ing. Relax. Believe it or not, I've cared for myself for years now." Realty hit Hiccup, again. You were an orphan. You're family died in a dragon attack four years ago, just two months before he made peace with the dragons. You relied on him to protect and care for you. You needed him, and he wasn't going to let you down.

"I know. You could always move in with me, though," he hinted.

You sighed, "Not now, please, Hiccup."

"Why don't you want to live with me? Don't you love me?"

"Of course I love you! Don't doubt yourself. It's just- I don't know- I'm not ready, I guess." You were scared. Scared that Hiccup would somehow dislike something about you and leave you behind. Moving in only made it certain that he would find out all your quirks. You were scared that if you got close to someone else, you'd lose them, too. You couldn't bear Hiccup leaving you, not in any way, shape, or form, and especially not through death.

"Don't doubt myself? How about you stop doubting yourself?"

"What are you-" you started.

His continued, calmly. "You're scared, (N/ N), and I can see it in your eyes every time I ask. But you don't have to be scared. Nothing you say or do could ever make me stop loving you. So, and I quote, "don't doubt yourself."" His breath tickled your neck, just as the tip of his nose did.