"Without Percy?" Piper finished for him. "Just give it to me."

No response.

"Give it to me!"

She heard Leo's hand go into his tool belt and bring out an Archimedes sphere. She took it from him and made him swallow another small piece of ambrosia. They were running out, but this was important.

"Jason?" Piper asked.

"Yeah, I can handle them," he panted. He felt that the arai were still conveniently watching, curious to see what Piper was doing.

"Keep at it," Piper charmspoke. Then she held the sphere in her hands. This was going to be strange, as it wasn't like she had love for the thing, but she had to try.

So instead of conjuring up memories of her and the sphere, she thought of Leo and his love for building machines just like this.

In a spur of the moment, she groped for his hand and shoved the sphere into it, then covered it with hers, ignoring the pain.

She remembered how Leo had clutched it one day in class when he was bored, fondly whispering compliments to it. That memory made her smile.

Almost instantly, water exploded out of the sphere, blowing them backwards and flooding the floor with freezing water.

The arai hissed in pain as they were blasted with water, and screeched for reinforcements.

Howls and terrifying wails filled the air like a crescendo, getting closer and closer. The three demigods didn't want to even think about what sort of creatures could exist in Tartarus.

Leo lurched to his feet, wobbling slightly, the flames doused. "I don't think—"

Piper slapped her pack of ambrosia into his hands, "Heal yourself. We need to leave."

"We won't make it," Jason said abruptly.

"Then what's your plan?" she asked him.

Jason felt the air currents moving around. He knew they were supposedly in some sort of mansion. Something had to be able to come down and block the arai.

Summoning lightning in the dark abyss of Tartarus was unheard of, but he had to try, for the sake of the world, because that was what it meant to be a hero.

He yelled in fury, and a devastating boom rocketed through the air. His controlled blast reduced the ceiling and walls to a crumbling mess, and stalactites crashed to the ground like an angel's wrath.

Then they ran. Jason was completely drained, but Piper relentlessly yanked him forward, charmspeaking them both to keep going as they raced behind Leo against the falling ceiling.

"They're not coming," the son of Jupiter gasped eventually. "We can...slow down."

They reduced their speed to a staggered walk.

Leo rubbed his charred skin through his burned hoodie. The only armor they three were wearing were bronze chain mail breastplates, in order to ensure they could still easily sprint from danger. This had already proved useful, since escaping was often a better idea than fighting if you were in Tartarus.

"We have to be close," Leo said, "it's getting warmer. Just slightly."

"Can you keep guiding us?" Jason wheezed, sensing a split in the path, but not feeling anything else. "I'm a little...out of it."

"Yeah, go left," Leo lead the way, nearly tripping on a loose piece of rock. It really was difficult to navigate without using his eyes. But he knew if he opened them, he'd see something that he would never be able to unsee.