Chapter 29 - Something's Rotten

Start from the beginning

"Look!" Sophie exclaims excitedly at me. "We match!"

She's linked her arm with Gideon, who wearing something similar to Christian but with a gold bow tie. His mouth is open as he gapes at my dress.

"Oye!" Christian yells out snapping Gideon to attention.

"Don't worry dear," Constance whispers to Elodie, "I've got just the man in mind for you."

Elodie smiles in her reserved way and for the first time ever I swear I can see jealousy in her expression as she takes me in. It's short lived however as Constance is eager to get on with the night.

"I'm going to have my team get me ready to make my entrance." She tells us. "Why don't you five go down and enjoy the party?"

We're ushered out by her assistant into the lavish hallway that's lined with portraits of, who else? Constance.

"I don't like this." I hiss to Christian as we descend the massive staircase towards the sounds of a live band playing Gatsby-esque music.

"You don't like getting dressed up?" He teases back under his breath.

"No!" I press. "Well, I don't like that either...but I don't like that Constance is keeping us from talking to her. It's like she doesn't want to hear what we have to say."

"She's just having her fun." He assures with a tiny pat to my arm. "You look ravishing by the way. Don't let another vampire steal you away tonight. I don't want to commit murder on these fine rugs."

A pair of towering etched golden doors looms in front of us and we can hear the laughter of a crowd floating out between the cracks.

"Ready?" Christian asks our group before parting both doors inward to reveal a raging party.

Throngs of styled vampires are lounging around chatting, laughing, and dipping shallow champagne glasses into blood fountains. The entire room has been decorated like a nineteen forties ballroom complete with brass band and a stage. Rich creams, gilded gold, and hints of black and coral are everywhere, all in angular patterns that reflect the bright music. There isn't a servant wearing a shirt. Instead they're all bare-chested and muscled specimens wearing tight trousers and bow ties or cravats.

"Is she hosting a Chip 'n Dales convention?" I complain making Gideon snort out loud with laughter and turning several heads in the room our way.

Suddenly I'm acutely aware that Gideon is the only human in this entire place and that puts me on high alert. One wrong move and he could become an hors d'oeuvre.

"How about a big welcome for her majesty's special guests!" A grand voice booms out over a speaker.

The bandleader is already directing the musicians to play some lively entrance music for us.

This could either go really well, or end really poorly for us.

Women openly gawk at Christian as he leads me into the room, making me more than a little uncomfortable. Sophie and Gideon take up a station casually at the bar where she orders a glass of blood and he gets what I can only assume is a water.

Christian has taken my arm and is walking me towards one of the blood fountains to fill two empty glasses he swiped from the tray of a waiter (shirtless of course). The room resumes its clamor of activity and I do my best to keep my eye on my mark. Elodie is being pursued by several love-struck men and looks torn between accepting their fawning compliments and keeping a close watch on her daughter.

The party swirls around us and even I get a little swept up in the fun as Christian and I share a few dances while the band plays old standards that he knows all the words to. Gideon for the most part remains by Sophie's side, in fact, the two of them have been laughing and chatting for the past half hour.

When the band strikes up Round Midnight the room halts all their activities and proclivities to turn and face the gold doors. Two oiled up and shirtless vampires open the gleaming doors with a flourish to reveal Constance in all her glory. She's wearing a floor-length gown in creamy satin that flutters and rolls along with her statuesque curves as she descends the small staircase leading into the ballroom. We're all applauding (for what, I'm not entirely sure) our benevolent leader while she basks in the glow of our admiration.

The headdress she's wearing looks straight out of a nineteen twenties silent movie. With thousands of tiny pearls all covering her shining black hair she peers out from behind her beaded curtain to smile demurely at the crowd and wave. At once all the men and women of the room surround her, exactly how I'm sure she likes it to be.

Constance crosses the room in regal strides until she reaches a low settee resting by one of the fountains. She raises a slender arm and gestures for Christian and I to join her, which we oblige.

"You two look positively divine!" She coos with a self-important smile.

"We have you to thank for that." Christian replies slipping his arm around my waist as we take our seats on a low bench near her.

"Have you seen any of Gavriel's lackeys?" She asks me in a low voice while waving ebulliently to some stranger in the crowd.

Her question is so unexpected that it catches me off guard and I have to kickstart my brain before I'm able to answer.

"I haven't noticed anyone out of place, no." I tell her, matching her hushed tone.

"Well, keep an eye out." She warns me, still focusing on greeting people as they pass by. "He's got every angel out there looking for you, and I don't trust his motives are purely because you failed to follow orders."

"Excuse me?" I ask feigning interest in the blood fountain.

"How do you know about this?" Christian chimes in while playing with a lock of my hair.

"My dears, I know everything." She exclaims. "Or at least I did until this nasty business came up. Gavriel's hiding something, I know it."

"Is that why you agreed to hear us out?" I question, this time looking at Constance dead on.

"Yes, it is." She answers with a glint in her tawny eyes. "I've long suspected that he's up to something, and goodness knows he's not to be trusted. I can't get any of my spies close enough to the Dark Angel program to get me any details, but something's rotten in the state of Denmark. I was rather hoping you might be able to shed some light on the whole situation."

"Is this really the best place to discuss that?" I ask glancing out at the crowd.

"Anything done behind closed doors will look suspect." She insists. "I might not be able to get spies close to him, but Gavriel has eyes everywhere. When he hears you and your human friend are guests of mine, it may force his hand."

"So we're just bait?" Christian scoffs.

"I wouldn't put it so crudely." Constance laughs. "I'm merely trying to sniff out why Gavriel would bother to send out such a public hit on a human and the Dark Angel who kidnapped him. He must be desperate to keep whatever secret it is that human is hiding! So go on! Do you know what it is or not?"

"No, she doesn't." Gideon's voice rings out from behind us. "But, I believe I can answer that question."

*Author's Note*

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story Dark Angel!! I know you have a lot of great works on Wattpad to choose from and it means the world to me that you're here.

If you like the story and want regular updates, you can follow me or add Dark Angel to your library/reading list.

Also,  please don't forget to vote for this book by clicking on the star button (it always makes my day!)