Surely Not Ambrose!(Part 2)

Hey guys. So some people were upset with the short update. I apologize. As I was terribly busy with my college, I couldn't update the second part of it. Here it is. Hope you like it!

Monday 14th February 1841, 8:30 am

Lillian's pov

"Lillian! Come out right now!"

A shrill voice rang out through the house

Blast triple blast how could this happen?

I replied in a not so cheerful voice.

"Oh that's fine aunt. I am happy sitting in my room."

"Well I am not happy! Come out at once!"

"I didn't have any idea that you were unhappy. It's hard to find out from the tone  of your voice"

"Lillian! Stop fooling around and come out. Colonel Williamson is going to be here any moment. I will not have you ruining this chance."

I swallowed in a painful lump that appeared to have settled itself in my throat.

Colonel Williamson was my terrifying aunt's new target. And I , poor innocent me was the bait! The colonel wouldn't have been such a bad chap if it weren't for his bulging eyes and also the fact that he was 20 years older than me!Really I had to give it to my aunt. Her tenacity and will knew no bounds.

I tried to evade as much as I could but maybe the lack of any manual as to the know how of dodging crazy aunts whose sole purpose was to get rid of you by hitching you to some bloke, had proved to be my downfall. Another nail in the coffin appeared to be the Colonel's so called affections for me. I had a strong urge to tell him where he could stick that blasted affections of his.

"Lillian! You are testing my patience young lady. Come out now!"

Apparently the man was so deeply enamored by me that on Valentine's day he wanted to give me flowers and chocolates. I wasn't interested in flowers, but chocolates! The terror of a marriage proposal hanging over my head drove me away from my sweet cravings.

Quick Lillian escape!

I escaped my house as Victor Linton, the not so masculine guy in baggy trousers and most importantly the secretary to one of Britain's leading financiers Mr Rikkard Ambrose.

As I walked, I could see people around me with dreamy smiles and blushing faces. What was so special about Valentine's day? Hitching yourself to bloody chauvinists who couldn't even let you open doors by yourself and not allow women to work somehow failed to captivate me. Marriage. Love. I wasn't interested in all that.

Yet the image of a tall dark and handsome cold miser came to mind.

And you say you aren't interested.

No I wasn't. And what's so special about him anyways?

Not paying much attention to where I was going I bumped into a wall

'Ouch!'

'Miss Linton is that you?'

Apparently not a wall. A man. With eyes that remained me of solid chocolate.

'Captain Carter! How have you been?'

Now Captain was the only man who somehow found out about my secret job. However the man despite being a devil in disguise, apparently had some honour thanks to his military life and promised me he wouldn't utter a word to anyone and also supported my work. My threat of killing him if he uttered a word may have worked too.