In The Meantime

Cole

I can smell the snow in the night air.

I look over at my father's house with disgust.

I hate him.

I'm the alpha of this pack, but he acts like it's his even though he's a lone wolf. Levi's the only one that hangs off every word he says. My pack doesn't like him, but they listen to him and his opinions since he's been around so long. They obey me though.

We're fifteen strong now. Some have been mine and Levi's friends for years, others are new. I find shifters that are strong, but not quite alpha material and bring them in. Some are resistant at first, but soon they learn to listen if they know what's best for them.

I couldn't stand to be in that house a moment longer. He had Levi retell about biting the she wolf over and over again. I think he was getting off on it.

What an idiot Levi is. I told him to watch. Watch. And he goes and f***ing bites her! He thinks it makes her his. Yeah right. I know Owen and his pack, they won't let her go. Not without a fight and Levi had his a** handed to him by Silas already.

He ruined my entire plan.

I'd bump into her, makes friends with her, then take her away before her awakening, when she's a weak human. Make her my mate. Now she's strong and has a pack that's likely claimed her.

S***.

The front door opens, casting the light from inside onto the porch. "Dad wants to talk to you," Levi says.

I grind my teeth and get up off the log by the fire. When I get closer, I notice Levi's eyes are wild and excited. What s*** did our father put in his head?

My pack is dispersed throughout the large house. Living a long life has its perks. Most shifters do well financially.

My mother is running around, making sure everyone's comfortable. She's basically a slave to my father. I see the way he now looks at her. With the same disgust I have for him, but for different reasons. She's in her early fifties and human. He's three hundred and thirty four, but only looks about thirty. He's started aging now and hates it. Greedy b******. He's been young for three hundred years already and hates that Mom looks her age.

He's never hit her, that I know of, but he's emotionally and mentally abusive to her. I went at him once for it and he almost tore my head off. Literally. Mom told me to let it go, afraid for me.

So like a freaking omega, I backed off.

Levi thinks the way he treats her is how it's supposed to be. I pity whoever he mates with.

I take a seat at the dining table where he's waiting. His eyes have that crazed glint too. His face morphs into a creepy smile. "I know who her father was."

"How?"

"I killed him."