No Regrets

When we arrive back at the old farmhouse, we stare in fascination as Owen shifts mid-stride.

We stop and stare as he walks around the house. How did he do that? Then, to my surprise, the others do it too. My wolf cocks her head to the side, contemplating, as they disappear. Let's just successfully shift without debate for now. I tell her.

And we do.

I send her feelings that show how pleased I am with her. I can feel her bask in them deep inside me. It's the strangest thing. We're becoming more in tune as Owen said we would.

I subconsciously cover my breasts as I round the corner, almost walking into North. He's holding clothes for me. I see his eyes darken as I take them. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." His deep voice vibrates through me. He stands for a moment, then turns and leaves.

I quickly dress into my pajamas and run into the house where Luke and Gabe are already making me a sandwich. Watching them reminds me how hungry I really am. When it's ready, I thank them and sit, soon joined by the others with their food, and eat like I haven't for days. "Why am I so hungry?" I ask, inhaling a large amount of my sandwich.

Sean smiles, pausing from his, "You use a lot of calories and energy when you shift. You'll be eating more often from now on."

I think about how much in groceries we'll have to spend and my Mom and Grandparents immediately come to mind. I quickly swallow the large bite I had taken, "My family?!"

"They're fine." Nathan assures. "We've been calling them regularly with updates on how you're doing."

"Do they know... that I've shifted?"

Victor's eyes blaze. "Yes."

"And they're okay with it?" I start to lose my appetite, thinking about what they've gone through as well.

"Sang."

I look at Owen.

"They love you and just want you to be okay."

My eyes burn, "When can I see them?"

"Tomorrow afternoon," he says. "I want you to get some rest first."

I feel nervous at the thought of seeing them even though I want to.

Are they really okay with what I am?

I sit in the rocking chair on the front porch, a blanket wrapped around me.

It's three in the morning and I can't sleep. I thought I'd be emotionally exhausted enough from all that's happened to sleep soundly.

Apparently not. 

******************

June

It's a clear October night, the stars twinkling brightly. The autumn air is crisp and the smells of the leaves bring a bit of comfort. They remind me of when I was little and dad would rake them into a huge pile, then toss me into it. The crunch of them around me and the earthy smell... I sigh. To be young and carefree like that again. Not a forty year old widow with a teenage daughter who can turn into a wolf...

Dammit, David!

This is your fault! Why the hell didn't you tell me?!

I furiously rock in the chair, the creaking accenting my anger.

The front door opens and I expect it to be dad. It's not.

"Can't sleep?" Joe asks.

I shake my head. "I wish I could sleep and wake up from this nightmare."