Visitors

I must have numbly stared at myself for a long time because Gabe was knocking on the door.

"Sang? Are you alright? You've been in there almost an hour."

I look around the bathroom like it somehow holds the answer to that question. "Um, I'm okay. I'll be right out." I don't sound convincing to myself.

"You sure?"

"Yep, I just lost track of time."

"Okay... we'll be outside on the porch, your family should be here soon."

"Sounds good."

I pull at my wolf, feeling her presence and drawing comfort from it. What's happening to us?

A feeling of reassurance spreads over me and I know it's her doing. "Thank you," I whisper.

As I quickly dress into jeans and a sweater and comb my drying hair, I try to figure out what happened. Is it an ability? Is that how it starts? If the guys knew, they would have warned me. But like they said, they're unfamiliar with female shifters. The thought of that happening again fills me with dread. What if it's something else next time?

I can't tell the guys. They wouldn't let me see my family.

Taking a deep breath and plastering a smile on my face, I open the door and head to the front porch. Nathan, Silas, Luke and Sean are throwing a football around. North's under the hood of his truck, tinkering. For all the world, they look like normal, human guys.

The rest are spread out on the porch, chatting. They smile when they see me, then narrow their eyes. Kota comes forward. "Is everything okay?"

Why is he asking? Do I not look okay?

I smile more brightly, "I'm fine." My voice is little too high pitched.

His eyes narrow more. Great.

The sound of tires rolling on the dirt drive thankfully draw everyone's attention. My stomach rolls with anxiety. Soothing electricity surrounds me and I look at its source. Owen's watching me. I give him a small smile in thanks and watch my mom's car pull up. She and my grandparents and Mr. Taylor all get out.

I tentatively walk down a few steps, feeling very unsure about my own family. What do they think of me?

I look at Mom and see her watching me. I can't quite read the expression on her face. She seems a bit unsure herself.

She walks forward as I slowly get off the bottom step.

Whatever the expression was, it changes as she gets closer and a watery smile appears. Mom quickly embraces me, and I wrap my own arms around her slim waist. She squeezes me tightly, "I love you, Sang. Nothing will ever change that."

My anxiety about my family melts away. That was exactly what I need to hear...

After a few minutes, we let go of each other. Grandma and Grandpa are right there to give me their own hugs and reassurance of their love as well. I can tell they aren't just words. They really mean it.

The guys all greet and welcome them over.

Grandma goes back to the car and takes out a crock pot, a casserole dish, and several tupperware containers, handing them off one by one. "We heard you have a healthy appetite so I brought a few things for you all to eat."

The guys smile appreciatively and take the delicious offerings, carrying them into the house with Grandma following.

"Sooo... " Mom smiles at me, tucking her hands in her back pockets.