A Battle of Wills

We arrive back at the small clearing by the stream. The others are gone. My wolf looks at Owen's questioningly, but he continues to the large boulders at the bottom of the hill. She follows him and watches as he slips into a hidden crevice between the boulders. She curiously follows.

We find ourselves in a cave. A small fire is going and the other guys are shifted back to their human forms, sitting around it. They're wearing jeans and t-shirts as well. The cave is actually cozy looking. There are fur pelts to sit on and pallet beds with blankets lining the walls. Several bins are stacked near the back.

They watch us enter and my wolf receives several sympathetic looks. Sean stands and comes over, holding folded clothes and sneakers. "Sang, these are for you. You have a change of clothes here now, too. I took the liberty of bringing some your grandmother packed." He pauses a moment. "You can shift outside if you like or at the back of the cave."

Owen shifts right in front of us and strides over to one of the bins, taking out clothes for himself.

"Jesus, Owen, you might want to warn her," Sean says.

Owen keeps his back to us as he put some jeans on. "She's already seen it all Sean."

Sean looks down at us and raises a brow. "Is that so?"

My wolf cocks her head to the side, I'm dying inside.

"How did that happen?" he asks Owen. The others are quiet, wanting to know as well.

Owen zips his jeans and turns as he pulls a shirt over his head. "Her wolf shifted while mine was disciplining her. I had no choice but to shift as well to avoid hurting Sang."

"Sweet lord." Sean looks back at us. "That was very naughty of you," he tells my wolf.

She chuffs at him.

He fondly pats her head.

Kota addresses Owen. "Did you show her how to control her wolf?"

Owen stands by the fire. "That's something she needs to learn on her own. You know that."

"Maybe it's harder to do as a female," he argues.

I become irritated. The girl card? Really?

My wolf growls, irritated as well.

Kota looks at us, apologetic. "I don't mean anything by it, Sang. We've just never known a female shifter before and what differences you'll have compared to us."

"We'll address them as they come," Owen says. "Sang's stronger than you give her credit for."

I'm surprised by the compliment. I'm also tired of not being able to speak, especially when the conversation's about me. I tell my wolf to take the clothes from Sean so I can go shift outside.

She stays put.

Seriously?

After all that's happened?

I push at her to do as I say.

She sits.

I push more, the electricity filling the cave.

They all look at us.

"Appears they seem to be having an argument right now." Luke smiles.

His smile irks me. I bet his wolf never gives him problems. Why is mine?

"Sang." Owen's voice is firm. "Take control of her. Now."

I'm embarrassed and angry. Why is she so stubborn!? I'm going to be stuck this way forever...

I push harder, the electricity crackling.

She pushes back.

I pull at her from deep within. A familiar feeling from earlier comes and I realize I'm pushing for the wrong thing.

Too late, my eyes warm and her body shudders. I briefly notice the raised eyebrows and eyes glued to us... as we shift.

Great.