Brainwashing, Not a Fan

AN- *screaming* ^

The projectiles start shaking in the air.

Suddenly, a hand grabs my shoulder, whirling me around.

The green eyes vanish and are replaced by two very blue ones. Snart stares at me, suspicion forcing his brow to crease. His hands move to both sides of my face, holding it tightly.

The voice in my mind is suddenly gone. Whatever demonic connection that had infiltrated it; disappears.

"Lenny?" I ask in confusion.

The objects drop to the ground. 

"Quit scaring me, Princess," he growls, moving his hands from my face to my shoulders.

"Nah," I smirk before stepping up on my tiptoes and pressing a chaste kiss to his rough cheek. My smirk widens as I stare up at him. "Where's the fun in that?"

Someone swears from behind me.

I pull away and glance at Ja'el. His green eyes burn into mine but I close my own swiftly.

"Nope! Just tried the whole brainwashing thing," I call angrily, "Not a fan!"

Snart's hands drop to my waist before tightening around me.

"Lenny?" I ask cautiously, my eyes still closed.

His grip merely tightens, holding me in an iron embrace.

"You looked into the Basilik's eyes didn't you?" I say slowly.

Snart doesn't answer.

"You idiot," I mumble under my breath.

"I-I have them all, you are outnumbered," Ja'el states. He lets out a slight groan and I peek under my eyelids to see him grasp his injured leg. A small pool of blood is beginning to form around his ankle.

"Well I'll have you know unfair fights are my favorite," I call back.

Snart's hand moves from my waist towards my throat.

"Oh this'll be a great story to tell the team," I growl, trying to force the hand away.

"Surrender, Karoline Jones," Ja'el's barely controlled voice calls. "Or your death will be orchestrated by your lover."

I splutter indignantly as Snart's fingers break free of my hold, closing around my throat.

"Lover?"

Ja'el's eyes are hard.

I lilt my head slightly. "Fine I see your point. But can I choose option three?"

Snart's fingernails dig into my throat. Pressure builds in my skull. My little gasps for air ain't doing me much good. I try to stand on my tippy toes to gain some leverage but fail.

"O-option t-t-three it i-is," I gasp, my eyes watering slightly.

Sorry Lenny.

My elbow retracts backwards as hard as I can into his ribcage.

Lenny chokes on air but immediately releases me after brief tightening of my throat. Another quick kick to the stomach and he goes down, clutching his ribcage.

Rubbing my neck, I glower at Ja'el who's concentration is now on Ray and Jax.

Both men's eyes have a slight greenish tinge and murder written in them.

This is gonna go really well.

Jax is the first to attack. He races towards me, fists swinging.

I duck, managing to block a few of his hefty punches before using his momentum against him and propelling him into the wall beside me.

He groans, clutching his head and moaning in his confusion.

"What the heck?" He asks.

"Jax!" I crow happily, "You're back!"

I barely have a second to enjoy my bittersweet victory before a fist collides with my side, sending me sprawling to the floor.

My hands hit first, followed by my knees. Rolling swiftly onto my side, I just manage to dodge a kick aimed at my face.

Ray's greenish eyes are staring without seeing. The hollowness in his gaze is so different than that liveliness I'm used to seeing.

"Ray listen buddy!"

I block another punch, trying to get to my feet.

"This isn't you!"

His foot slams into my thigh, knocking me off balance again.

"SNAP OUT OF IT!"

His fist is two inches from my face, when a new hand grabs his wrist, yanking him away.

Ray grunts in surprise as the
newcomer slams him into a wall.

"I got this Kari!" Jax calls.

"Have fun," I reply, turning towards Ja'el. His eyes are bright but his attempt to take my mind fails. He's weak.

A smirk crawls onto my face.

Slowly, I raise my hands upwards feeling frantic power course through me. My fingers are itching, straining to reach out and end this pitiful being. I'm sick of being controlled.

As I take a step towards him, a sickeningly smug look appears on his face.

"Yo-you're time is up," he coughs. His foot slides in the blood at his feet. Using the wall behind him for leverage, Ja'el staggers upright. His smile remains the same.

"Your deaths will mean nothing."

"More than yours," I retort, reaching down to my waist for my knife. Before Ja'el can blink the knife is impaled in his side. He chokes down his pain, his face screwed up in momentary anguish before he hides it.

For added spite, I lean close to his face and whisper;

"And more than hers."

His face flickers with anger for a moment at the harsh words before his apathetic smile returns.

"She never liked me anyways," he says, smiling. Smiling to hide something much deeper, much darker. His brokenness.

For a second, I pity him.

He must notice my pause because then a deep throated noise echoes in the room as Ja'el begins to slide down the wall. The sound he's making is like the screeches of a dying cat. He continues sliding until he hits the floor with a thud, sitting in his own puddle of blood.

It's only then I realize, he's laughing.

The sound makes my insides turn to liquid, sloshing around in turbulent waves. It makes me wanna throw up.

A hand in my arm brings me back to reality and I turn to see Snart, giving Ja'el a wary look.

"He's gone," I say quietly, still staring at the broken man. I look up at Snart and he looks down at me. "I think he died the moment he found out The Pilgrim was dead."

I turn back to look at the psychotic man. His laughter has evolved from a hearty chuckle to an insane cackle. His eyes are closed, tears streaming down his face like blood running down his uniform.

"Uh Kari?" Jax says slowly, looking past me towards the doorway. "I think we'd better get going."

"Is Ray up?" I ask, still staring at Ja'el.

"Ray'll survive," Ray mumbles vaguely as he gets shakily to his feet.

My eyes are still in Ja'el who's laughter rises to a higher pitch as he spews his insanity to the world.

Snart's hand slides down my arm and squeezes my fingers, pulling me away.

Shaking my head, I follow Ray and Jax out of the ship, leaving Ja'el and his shrieks behind.