Chapter 6 - An unexplained problem

Witch luck

Chapter 6: An unexplained problem

 »«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«

Well after that shenanigan at the gate, I don’t think I will ever trust my dreams again. I woke up in the infirmary, where I saw my cousin stare at me with bright eyes. As if she knew what had gone on, but I was saved by the nurse who told her she couldn’t speak to me.

But here I was, in my room staring at the girl who looked more than chuffed at what she wanted to say to me. I knew deep down that she was going to reveal or do something I will have no control of, and neither would she.

And that I dread.

I blinked at her; Meghan looked perfectly serious about this, leaning against the bed I laid on. She still had on the same facial expression at the infirmary. Four hours of me lying unconscious still had no effect on this girl at all. Till she broke that creepy news to me, it's like yeah right I will believe you. I did, in the end believe her. Because what she said was the truth; except I couldn’t tell her I knew because, I knew what she would do and that was worse.

"I'm a what?" my voice broke on the word 'what' and I stared at her shaken, who in the world had taught her all this.

"A soothsayer and shut up do you have to scream so loud" she reprimanded me and smiled so secretively "You're the one there's no denying it, one soothsayer always knows another, but it kind of sucks it’s you though" I stared at her thinking how she knew all this.

We were both in the nurses office, while I lay here with a cold compress on my head and her leaning on the bed. We were waiting for me to be discharged; I guess I had a serious problem for the nurse to keep me so long. My hand I noticed was bandaged up now and I was thankful.

“So are you saying you are one too?” I questioned her; please say no, I thought secretly my heart was thumping across my chest.

“No” she said with a frown on her lips “Hazel is a witch and a soothsayer, she was born into one” she replied as a matter of fact or something. I breathed slightly with relief, but I was still scared. How the hell did she get to find this out and why now, it can’t be that my sister told her? We promised we wouldn’t tell anyone.

“You know there is no such thing right? Give it up I can never be a witch or smoothie maker or whatever you called it” I laughed casually, or so I hoped. Hoping she won’t find out my nervousness. I was silently crying inside at this topic, I always wished it were my sister who got this talk not me.

I began to believe-not so much from Meghan from what she had said, but from a curiously tense way in which she was holding her body. Just like our dog back home, when he gets ready to pounce, that Meghan was serious. Just my luck it would've been nice if she were kidding around, I said choosing my words with care.

"Meghan, I'm sorry but I'm tired and I really want to go home. Maybe we could talk about this some other time?" I groaned, already scared for the way she will react.

It was of course the wrong thing to say, since she got all huffy and mad.

"Oh that's how it is, is it? You think you're better than me or Hazel because you've been practicing longer or something. Is that it? Well, let me tell you something porky!” she started out “Hazel is a top notch soothsayer who has been practicing longer than we have, and she knows exactly what to do. Hell, she even created this coven and has been teaching us, I may be better at it than you now” she smirked and I paled

“This isn’t a joke Meghan you know you could get into serious trouble by saying this” I gulped remembering why I was sent here. “Terrible things happen when you learn this stuff and people will label you, or even worse betray you” I said trying to convince her, and remembering how I got to the nurses office again.