"Oh! That's great! I'll do that, then. Thank you so much!" She grinned excitedly, taking the lingerie and stockings as I nodded.

"Of course, and when you're ready, I'll check you out in the back." I offered a smile before stepping back and making my way to the register once more.

A few minutes later, I had checked Mr. Mendes' girlfriend out, sighing as I realized it was already five. Removing my headpiece and clocking out, I waved goodbye to my manager and coworkers, and headed home to get ready for the date.

[]

"Hey," Chase mumbled as I slid into the seat of the booth, leaning over to kiss me.

I giggled softly against his lips, my cheeks going warm as I kissed him gently before pulling back and mumbling back, "Hi, you."

"How was your day?" He asked as he pulled back, gazing at me with a smile.

"Hectic. I worked, then went home, only to be pushed out since my parents are having friends over," I laughed softly, looking back at him. "Yours?"

"Spent it doing nothing, so I can't complain." 

We sat in silence for the next few minutes, which was somewhat awkward, but thankfully, Jack and Caroline strutted in, giggling together as they came to our table. 

"Hope you don't mind a double date," Chase spoke shyly, chuckling as he did so. "Kinda invited themselves."

"No! It's fine, yeah, no worries." I nodded, secretly thankful it wouldn't just be Chase and I.

Sliding into the booth, Jack and Caroline sat across from us as we all picked up menus and glanced through, even though we'd all been enough times to know just what we wanted.

"Hellooo, love birds!" Caroline teased, wiggling her brows at me as I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up, Car," I shook my head playfully, flashing Jack a smile as he said hello before turning to talk to Chase.

"Why didn't you text me?" She pouted, shutting her menu as she leaned over the table so only her and I could her.

"Last minute. Just happened last night." I told her quietly as I told her the story.

"Oh! Guess who I helped today at work," I mumbled to her, my eyes widening as I spoke.

"Who?" She asked with wide eyes; eager for information and gossip.

Just as I was going to tell her I had helped Mr. Mendes' girlfriend, my phone went off; a text from my dad flashing on screen.

I know ur busy but mom burnt the french bread!!! can u pick up another right now n bring it??

"I-" Weirdly, I was grateful for the text; it gave me an excuse to leave this date. "I gotta go. Family emergency. I'll make it up to you guys." 

"Text me!" Caroline called as I nodded, waving goodbye and flashing Chase an awkward smile as I gathered my things and made my way to my car.

Once I had stopped by the store as quickly as I could, I parked my car in the driveway and made my way inside. 

I walked into the kitchen, playfully waving the bread around as I spoke. "As always, baby J saved the da-"

I was cut off as two familiar eyes watched me in amusement, a playful smirk on his lips.

Holy shit.

Oh, god.

Mr. Mendes was my dad's friend. 

"A true hero you are, Miss Ange," Mr. Mendes spoke, taking a sip from the glass of red wine my mom had put out for him.

"M-Mr. Mendes, hi," I laughed nervously, setting the bread on the counter as I flashed a small smile.

"Shawn! David and Rose were just showing me- hey! You're the cute girl that helped me today!" Shawn's girlfriend called out, waving at me as my parents followed her inside from the backyard.

"Oh! Christina and Shawn- this is my daughter, Julianna," My mother spoke, flashing me a smile once she saw the bread.

"Mr. Mendes is my teacher, actually," I spoke shyly, brushing my hair behind my ear as I nodded and smiled at Christina. Even her name was pretty.

"And as I said, Julianna and I met today while she was working." She spoke, leaning over to squeeze my arm as she lowered her voice and spoke playfully with a smirk. "Thank you, by the way. Boyfriend totally loved it."

For some reason, my stomach felt uneasy when she said that, and my gaze moved to Mr. Mendes'; whose stare was already on me.

"Well, that's great!" My mom nodded, moving to prepare the bread. "Dinner will be ready soon, Jules, you can join us if you'd like."

"I'm okay, mom, thanks though. I think I'm just gonna go upstairs." I spoke, shrugging my coat off and setting my keys down, finally.

"Sorry for ruining your date, J." My dad chuckled, taking a drink from his glass as Mr. Mendes' brows raised.

"Date?" He asked, his tone playful, as it always seemed to be around me.

"Oh, yeah. Jules is seeing Chase Gordon, star lacrosse player, which you probably know." My dad spoke proudly.

"It's no big deal," I laughed awkwardly, making my way to the stairs as I gave everyone a small wave. "Nice to see everyone. I'll be in my room if anyone needs me."

Mr. Mendes licked his lips while watching me; causing my cheeks to heat quickly. Before anyone could speak to me again, I turned and made my way up the stairs and to my room.

I fell onto my bed, sighing loudly into my pillow as my thoughts raced about Mr. Mendes.

Out of all people, why did he have to be my father's friend?

I could hear him laughing from downstairs, causing me to nuzzle further into my pillow with a pout.

Why did he have to be so damn good looking?

----------

hiii! sorry for taking so long to update! i've been busy with stuff, and i'm sorry for disappointing with this chapter! it was a bit slow and boring, but i promise, stick with me and it'll get better!

as always, thank you for reading. please remember to vote, comment, and share this story if you like it! x

-n