Chapter 18: War Becomes a Happy Ending

"You've become quite the kunoichi, Mariko," says my father as I redirect his earth attacks at me with ease.

"Well you can say I haven't been playing around," I say as I use my lightning element and launch a thunder bolt at him. It hits him, but only a layer of rock falls from his skin. "Mariko, I must warn you, there are certain ways I use my ability that are meant to counter people of my own clan," he says worriedly. I look at him confused before I feel a sharp pain coursing through my body. I groan in pain but attempt to counter and attack him but I can't move. "What the-?" I ask myself confused why I couldn't move nor use any of my elements.

"Mariko! I trapped you in my isolation jutsu, it blocks your connection to the earthly elements which is why you can't use them, and I infused stone in your blood stream, so you can't move!" he says worried and launches an attack. "No!" he exclaims knowing I wouldn't be able to dodge it. Everything moves slowly as a large pointed stone hurled towards me. I see Gaara turn to look at me with eyes wide, but I knew he wouldn't be able to help me within these seconds. I had accepted then that this was the way I was to die. 'I love you Gaara,' I think to myself and close my eyes. But the pain never came. I slowly open my eyes and see a large wall of rock in front of me that had stopped to attack. "But how?" I ask myself and my father widens his eyes at me in shock, but slowly begins to smile.

"Well you have to thank my grandchild for saving you," he says with a smile and I look at him with eyes squinted. He sighs quickly explaining what he meant. "Mariko, you're pregnant," my father says and gives me a large smile and I gasp and look at Gaara, "I can see it now, besides, when a women holds a member of our clan in her womb, the baby's destined element protects her and her child." I'm still in shock but feel myself start to break free from his jutsu. I don't hesitate to take this opportunity to release myself and use the sand to trap my father and seal him like Gaara had taught me. "Incredible, no one has ever broken free from that powerful of a jutsu, I'm very proud of you my daughter. But before I go, may I ask the name of the man who is lucky enough to have my daughter?" he asks me as he begins to disappear in the sand.

"Gaara," I say to him with tears in my eyes from seeing my father leave and I look over at Gaara who seemed to have sealed his father as well and was on his way to me.

"Are you okay Mariko?" he asks me concerned. I simply nod as I watch my father disappearing before me.

"Take care of her and your child, son," my father finally says before leaving again, forever this time. Gaara looks at the remaining sand in confusion. He then turns to me. "Child?" he asks me simply and I look down afraid to hear what he'd have to say.

"Yes Gaara-kun, I'm pregnant, and he or she saved my life. I'm sorry," I say not looking up at him. He uses his fingers to move my face to look up at him and I see a smile. "I'm glad. I believe things happen for a reason, I'm excited to start a family with you," he says and takes me into a hug.

"Well, a child by two kage, huh? That will be one incredible child," Lord Tsuchikage says from behind us and we break apart.

"But Mariko, you have to leave, it isn't safe for you or the baby to be on the battlefield," Gaara says to me and I glare at him.

"Are you kidding me Gaara? I'm staying whether you like it or not, I will not let my village fight without their kage by their side. Our baby will be fine, they are protected by their elemental spirit," I say to him and he sighs at me. Knowing he couldn't fight my decision because I was still the Mizukage, he just shook his head at me. "Just don't be reckless, and let me protect you," he says with a serious facial expression planted on his face. I simply nodded at him and we continued on as our division.

~-~-~-~-~

This was it, all five of the Kage were standing up against Madara. For the first time ever, we stood together and fought together to end it. We were determined to save our world. And to sum up the long fight, with the help of friends and other ninja, we did it. Our ninja world was safe again from the Akatsuki. "Its over," I whisper out dirty and bloody from the fight, I was fine though. I look to my left to see Gaara spaced out and I walk up next to him. "Gaara-kun, we did it, Naruto is safe, the baby and I are safe, everyone in our villages are safe," I say to him and he smiles looking at me. He holds my hand and dives in for a long passionate kiss I just never wanted to end. It did, however, for it was time for us to return to our own villages and resemble and honor those lives we lost. Together, the remaining shinobi gathered together to mourn those who died in silence until the Raikage dismissed us home, ninja following their kage. I had to separate from Gaara for a little while longer before I could move to Suna. From there, we parted ways yet again.

~-~-~-~-~

"We'll miss you a lot Mariko-chan," says Ren and Kenji picks me up hugging me tightly.

"Be careful Kenji, don't hurt the baby," I say to him. Yes, everyone knew Gaara and I were expecting. Yes, we were young, but we were very in love and ready for the lives ahead of us. Today was the day I left for Suna, Gaara sent seven ANBU ninja of his to escort me there, even though I said I was fine on my own. He just wasn't comfortable with me being pregnant and traveling on my own. "Milady," begins one of the ANBU waiting for me to say my goodbyes, "I'm sorry, but we really must be headed off now." I nod at him and say my final goodbyes to Mei-sensei and give her a hug. "You invite me to your wedding okay?" she tells me with tears in her eyes and I just smile at her tearing up as well.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye, for now," I say to them and wave as I leave with the ninja to finally live peacefully with Gaara, the love of my life.

~-~-~-~-~

Finally, we made it to Suna. I could see the gates from afar and couldn't help but start sprinting. "Milady, you shouldn't be running like that while you're pregnant," says the ninja but I ignore them and keep running. Soon, the gates are so close and I feel something course run along my ankles. Within the blink of an eye I'm picked up by a thing of sand and sped too the gates of Suna and dropped into the arms of the person I've been waiting to see, Gaara. I laughed and kissed him passionately while still in his arms and he put me down. "Mariko, there's something important I need to ask you," he said, holding my hand and getting down on one knee. I looked at him confused and looked behind him to see the large crowd of villagers of Suna standing behind him holding a huge sign that read, "Mariko Erementaru, will you marry me?". I cried and lifted my hand to my mouth in shock and looked at Gaara on his knees holding a box with a beautiful diamond ring in it. "Yes!" I screamed and glomped him while he layed on the ground and put the ring on my finger using his sand. He soon picked me up bridal style and walked us back to the Kazekage Mansion to celebrate. "Thank you Mariko," he says to me looking down at me in his arms.

"No thank you Gaara, I love you," I say with a smile as we enter through the front door of the Mansion, it's completely empty.

"I love you too."