Chapter 13: The Akatsuki's Bringing Us Back Together

I sigh as I sit looking at the scenery in front of me on top the Mizukage's building. I was lost, Gaara was in Suna, so far away, and I couldn't return there without the permission of the elders and Mei-sensei. It had been nearly a week since we arrived home to Kiri and Gaara had sent me one letter that I currently held in my hand. It read,

Mariko, my love, I hope you had a safe trip back to Kirigakure. I already feel as though there is a giant piece missing from me and its been but a few days. I'm anxious to hear from you what the village elders say. I don't want you to give up your role as a Kage for me, but I do want to be able to see you. I hope to hear from you soon,

~Gaara

I held the note close to me, tears threatening to spill. I knew I had to reveal to the elders our relationship. I had to figure a way to be loyal to my village, but maintain a relationship with Gaara all at once. But would the elders allow it? They were so set on me becoming the Sixth Mizukage, they would do all in their power to prevent me from leaving. But there had to be a way, there always is. I then stand up and decide instead of feeling sorry for myself, I'd confront the elders and find a solution. With that, I stored Gaara's letter in my pouch and marched to the meeting room within the building, where I knew a meeting with Mei-sensei and the elders were being held now. I stand in front of the clothes door and take a deep breath before I open in and walk in. All the elders stare at me with blank expressions, but not displeased. Just as I'm about to open my mouth, one of the elder women interrupts me, "Mariko child, we were just about to summon for your presence. Sit, we have important matters to discuss with you." I hesitate but sit and decide to hear them out before I state my case. "Lady Erementaru," begins one of the elder men, "It has come to a point in time that Kirigakure, is under threat of destruction, and our citizens safety is our main priority. Your sensei, Lady Mizukage, has made it clear to us that you have far surpassed her skills as a kunoichi and would be much more capable of protecting this village than herself. Isn't that right miss?"

"I do believe Mariko has surpassed me in power and will, I am getting into my middle ages and she is in her youth. There is no doubt that she is the most capable in this village, and still has much potential to improve," she says to me and gives me serious look. Her facial features showed business, but her eyes read sorrow. "Therefore, Mariko Erementaru, we would like to promote you to the position of Sixth Mizukage. Even with your young age, you've proved yourself to be the most impressive ninja in this village, do you accept our offer?" the other male elder asked me. I look around at hopeful faces, but a part of me didn't want to say yes. As Mizukage, I wouldn't be able to see Gaara anymore, but I knew that to any shinobi, their duty comes before their personal wants. I look at my sensei who surely understands my relationship with Gaara and realizes what this new position would mean. Without allowing my facial expression to falter, I find myself answering simply, "Yes."

~-~-~-~-~

It's been a week since I've been Mizukage, and three weeks since I last saw Gaara. I responded to him in one of my letters over a week ago that I was becoming the Sixth Mizukage and he hasn't responded to me since. I sigh sitting at my desk and completing paperwork, I now understand how Gaara and Mei-sensei feels. Speaking of Mei-sensei, she was my assistant, sort of, she guided me and helped me while I was getting used to my new position. "Mariko," I hear my sensei's voice begin as she walks through the doors of my office, "the Akatsuki is at it again, so the other village's kages have decided to have all the kages meet together in a hidden destination and discuss what the hidden village's next move will be. They're calling it the five kage summit." I look up at her and nod as she hands me a coded script that contained the details. As I read it I noticed it said you may bring two people along from your village in case the other Kage become aggressive. 'Wait a minute, that means Gaara will be there,' I think to myself suddenly very excited for this meeting. "So Mei-sensei, does this mean we might possibly form an alliance? What do you think?" I ask her looking at her intently.

"I don't know. All I do know is the Akatsuki are all of our enemies, and the only effective way to stop this is by bringing them together," she says and I nod agreeing. I'm aware now that Naruto of the leaf, Gaara's friend, carries the nine-tails, and the Akatsuki are after it. If they get a hold of him, all hope would be lost. "Besides, Mariko, this will be a good chance for you to speak with Gaara-sama," she says looking at me with pity. She knows I've been having problems communicating with him. "Yes it will. But the Akatsuki threatening these people's safety is more important. Ren, Kenji and I will head there tomorrow morning, please inform the elders while I talk to my teammates," I say to her before she nods and we both teleport away. I was still wearing my Mizukage robes when I reappeared in front of the boys' house. I don't even bother to knock and walk in seeing both of them in their underwear in front of the couch playing some game. "No fair! You cheated Ren-kun!" Kenji yells slamming his fist on the coffee table as Ren laughs at him.

"A true ninja sees through deception, but also uses it as their greatest weapon," he responds to him with a sly smirk.

I clear my throat to get their attention but it doesn't interrupt them from their argument. As I'm about to open my mouth, Kenji interrupts me, "One second Mariko-chan!" I just look at them puzzled and sit on the chair near them waiting for them to stop bickering. As soon as they do Ren apologizes and they become attentive. "Okay you two, so I came to inform you that we are all three leaving tomorrow for the Five Kage Summit," I say bluntly and they look at me puzzled. "The five kage are meeting together to discuss how to retaliate to the Akatsuki," I explain to them. They nod their heads understanding. "Wait a minute Mariko-chan, doesn't that mean you'll be seeing Gaara-sama," Ren hints with a wink and I sweat drop and leave their house not bothering to converse with them further.

~-~-~-~-~

We all met at the gates the next morning with Mei-sensei to wish us off just like she did nearly a month ago. Except this time, I had my Mizukage hat strapped to my back and we were headed to meet the other Kage. "Be safe you three, and please Ren and Kenji, especially you Kenji, treat Mariko as the Mizukage in front of the other Kage. Show them all proper respect," she says to them with a soft smile, "Good luck." We all said our goodbyes and left on our way to the first ever Five Kage Summit and to finally see my boyfriend Gaara. I hope to Kami he isn't angry with me, but I decided to just speak to him after the meeting ends. With that we made our way to the meeting, leaving the village in Mei-sensei's hands.

​​​​​​​