Chapter 11: Sensei for the Day

It's been a few days since the Akatsuki took Shukaku out of Gaara. Since then however Gaara still hasn't been able to sleep. For the past nights I've stayed with him and tried to help him learn how to, but he never can and ends up just holding me until I pass out from exhaustion. I felt bad I hadn't succeeded in helping him, but I was determined to not give up. I woke up this morning not seeing Gaara beside me and knew instantly he had began working. It was clear how dedicated he was as Kazekage, he took no time for himself and went straight to work. Although we confessed to each other and we stayed together at night, we hadn't made anything official yet. Not that I was in a rush to, it will be hard to keep a relationship between villages, not to mention the elders of Kiri wouldn't be happy to hear I was in love with the Kazekage. They would be fearful their prodigy and future Mizukage would leave them for the sand, and at this point I wasn't sure how I'd handle it.

I got up out of bed and put on my ninja attire ready to do whatever I needed. It had been a week since my arrival in Suna and although our mission was delayed because of the Akatsuki, Gaara had told us the package should be ready for us in less than three days. A part of me never wanted it to be finished. I walked to Gaara's office not having anything in particular I needed, rather just wanting to spend time with him. I didn't even have to knock on the door before I heard his scratchy voice, "Mariko-chan, you can come in."

"Well good morning Gaara-kun," I say to him with a smile as I enter and close the door and make my way to sit on his desk. Gaara stops what he's doing and stands up towering over me while I sit and quickly pecks me lips. We were both very inexperienced with relationships but we managed quite well. "How did you sleep, Mariko?" He asks me with a small smile.

"Very well, I just wish you could sleep with me," I say to him serious with a small blush. With him, I slept the best I ever had, and I wanted him to feel that sensation as well.

"I'm sorry," he begins losing his smile, "although I'm not actually sleeping, watching you has helped me rest more than I ever had before." I smile at him appreciating his comment. It was then I knew I had to bring up a dreaded subject on both our parts. "Gaara-kun," I begin, him sitting back in his desk continuing his work. He lets a noise escape his throat indicating he was paying attention. "What happens when I return to Kiri? I came here for a mission and I will have to leave Suna soon," I tell him feeling a feel fresh tears gathering in my eyes. I choked them down though, so to not seem so weak. Gaara let out a sad sigh and made eye contact with me. "I don't know Mariko, I really don't know what to do," he tells me and closes his eyes taking a deep breathe.

"I know you can't visit me as the Kazekage, but I could visit you. My only concern is that, well, the elders won't approve of our relationship."

"What do you mean won't approve? Do they have a problem with Suna?"

"No they don't, but they do have a problem with their future Kage abandoning them for the sand." Gaara looks at me clearly forgetting what the future holds for me. I knew it was what was expected of me, and I didn't want to let down the Mist. "Then do we not continue this relationship on? Do we leave it before we get to far into it? I can't fail to forget I'm a kage and you live in the Mist and I have," Gaara says clearly cey upset and puta his hands through his hair.

"No! I nearly lost you a few days ago but you came back, we can make it work Gaara-kun. We will figure this out!" I exclaim determined. He gives a slight laugh and leans in to give me a kiss, but not before Kankuro runs in his office. "Oh, sorry didn't mean to interrupt you too," he begins by waggling his eyebrows, "should I come back later?" I decided he was definitely a pervert but after seeing what he did for Gaara I found myself growing to respect him. Besides, both my teammates and his siblings were well aware of our growing relationship. "No you're already here," Gaara says quite annoyed with his older brother, "What do you need?"

"Well Yurei, one of the academy teachers are ill and normally Temari and I would take the job, but we're headed to Konoha for that mission today," Kankuro tells him.

"Very well Kankuro, I'll find a replacement, thank you," Gaara says and excuses Kankuro. I look at him as he goes through a list of people to fill in for the teacher. "You know Gaara, I don't mind helping out at the academy if you can't find anyone," I say to him, as he clearly stresses over the lack of suitable and available ninjas.i walk over to him and massage his shoulders like I did before. He was clearly reluctant to have me help. "I promise I don't mind, besides I love kids and I've always wanted to be a sensei. It'd be fun," I coo him while he moans from my massage.

"Fine, I'll have one of my ninja show you there. And school ends in the early afternoon you can come back here after. Thank you Mariko-chan," he says to me and gives me a quick kiss. Before I know it a ninja arrives and poofs me to the Academy.

*****************************

"Alright class," begins one of the senseis at the school, " because Yurei-sensei is sick, we have Mariko of the Mist here to teach you today, if you have any questions for her feel free to ask," he finishes and waves me goodbye before he leaves the room. I look around to see hands raised and curious faces. I answer one of the girls, "Mariko-sensei, why does your ninja headband not match all our other senseis?" She asks clearly not understanding the way of the other nations.

"Well, it's because I'm not a sand ninja, I'm from this Mist, which makes me a sort of special guest sensei today. But I promise you'll enjoy today's lesson," I say with a laugh. I had already decided what I'd teach them while their sensei was introducing me. After answering a few other questions, I gave the class a sheet of paper and randomly gave them a on their back. "Okay so, this is a kind of test, you all have a color on your back, each of you have a different one. The goal is to know what color you are at the end of the next fifteen minutes and write it on your paper. You may cheat. You may look at your back or ask someone to tell you what color you have. But here's the catch, if I catch you cheating you fail. If you don't think you can cheat without being caught better to just guess. And I warn you I have a very sharp eye. Okay class begin!" I exclaim. All the class looks scared and intimidated but I remember Mei making me do this with just Ren and Kenji. It took us forever before we passed. Immediately I see a kid turn around and I throw a kunai at his desk. "Fail!" I tell and he sweat drops. This goes on until I eventually collect the papers and check them. "Okay, so 9 of you of 25 passed. The rest of you were wrong or got caught. I'm quite impressed honestly.." And I continued explaining the lesson and why I did it. "... All ninjas will have to gather information at one point without being caught by the enemy. So this was practice for that. And because you all tried very hard, you passed according to me, good job!" I say and the school day ends. I find my way back to Gaara a while later and see him speaking with a ninja. I was about to leave so to not interrupt, but Gaara's sand stopped me. "Don't leave Mariko-chan," he says to me as the ninja turned around. I recognized him to be the sensei from the academy. "Oh it's you, I was just telling Kazekage-sama how much the kids loved your lesson today. It was very nice to meet you Mariko-San," he says to me as he turns around and leaves out the door.

"You too," I say to him as he leaves and turn my attention to Gaara.

"So you had fun?" He asks me opening his arms for me.

"I'd be a liar if I said I didn't."

"Well that's good to hear, I'm almost done here."

"Well I'm going to head to your room, I'm beat. See you there Gaara-kun?"

"Of course."